Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New Retriever

Old 12-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Retriever

hey, I just got a Golden Retriever pup. He is about 6-7 weeks old. Should I start training him yet ??? And if so, do you have ne tips on training him to hunts quails/pheasants ?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Default RE: New Retriever

I'd say 'yes', start working with him now. Obviously his attention span won't be too great, but he's probably got a lot of innate talent. Start figuring out what comes naturally to him.

In an effort to keep him from being gun shy, you might want to get him started making the positive connection between loud noises and something good happening. I don't know how others do it, but the one dog I trained to hunt with me I started as a 7 week old pup. When I'd put his food bowl down, I'd fire a blank starter's pistol. He was quickly accustomed to the sound and was never fearful of gunfire.

I've also been advised on this forum, especially with a dog you wish to use on smaller game like quail, not to ever plan tug-of-war with the pup. Apparently such play can lead to your dog being hard-mouthed.

I'm sure you'll get lots of much better tips from the more experienced dog trainers here.

Good luck!

El Gringo
Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 AM

Get a training program for obedience first and then go to a hunt training program.

DOC E... could you give this man a hand in which ones to pick up? It's been so long since I've read a training book...I've gotten spoiled hunting with myChessie ,she does all the reading and I just try to pay attention.

And the pointers I hunt belong to someone else so all I need do is show up and help during the summer and hunt during the fall and winter.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:57 AM

If you are not comfortable with firing a starter pistol in the house (if he is in the house with you), then just start dropping metal items onto the floor or bang them together when he is eating, or playing with the kids.. Like pots and pans.. this will get him used to the loudness and the sudden ringing in his ears. (Children are the best "noise" trainers" I have found!) When you are working with a pup at that age, just remember that everything you do needs to be play to him and you will keep his attention.. If he thinks it is fun and not work, he will try harder to please you so you "have fun" too! Plus, if you start making it "seem" like work, you might have a harder time when he gets older.

We have been training GSPs for a little over 11 years and Weims for almost 8. This seems to work really well! Especially when you start this at a very young age! (We try to start making extreme noises when they are about 3-4 weeks old and their ears are just opening. That way they are used to the noises when they go home with their new owners.)...

Another thing is ... do you have children? (Any age is fine).. if so, go to the dollar store and get one of those $1 (very cheap) children's cap gun if you don't want a starter pistol right away. This will have the same effect as the gentleman suggested in the prior post.