HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 AM
RobinAim Low

Default RE: What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

OK...here we go...

Retrievers definitely the most reliable reel. Under no circumstances would I use anything other than fast flight line in them (400 lb). IMO, the most important drawback to them is that you cannot reel in a big fish, but have to pull it in by hand.

Spincasts let you fight in the fish (this is the fishing part of bowfishing after all). Personnally, I stand fast that the paranoia about not pushing the button is unfounded. Set your drag and if you insist on slides, the arrow will still go out a ways and not hurt anything. Absolute worst case is that the line will snap and you loose the arrow. 200 lb fast flight is not going to snap back at you if you forget the button. It is a non-elastic material and cannot hold up to a sudden load force. For me, if I forget the button, then I cannot shoot my arrow. I probably stick my index finger on my bow hand out unconsciously once every 30 seconds to push the button.

Fishhunter, where in the world are you getting Muzzy arrows with slides for $6???