HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
bowman15
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

One positive aspect of the spincast is retrieval-speed. You get much faster follow-up shots with a spincast reel because you get your arrow back much faster. Plus, if you shoot a bigger fish, the spincast has a drag to help with fighting fish. Retrievers don't, but with a decent glove and heavier line, you can fight them in well enough.

I have both reels (spincast on my recurve that I usually shoot, and a Retriever on my compound, my backup). I shot the Retriever-compound for years before I got my recurve, and had no complaints or problems. But once I got a spincast setup, that's all I used since. I did mess up my first spincast ( a Shakespeare Synergy) within a year, but I've learned tocheck the release button. I would bump the handle and engage the pins and not know it. And when you shoot that heavy arrow with (in my case) 120-lb. test line, something's gonna give. But, I found Synergys for sale for $15.00, so I actually have 3 for the price I paid for me Retriever.

Retrievers are great reels, and if you get one, you won't be disapointed. Just remember to keep the reel ponted in the direction of the fish, and reelin em in won't be a problem, but I bet once you use a spincast, you may not grab that Retriever for a while.

My 2-cents.