Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 big carp problems >

big carp problems

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

big carp problems

Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
HNI_Christine's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Utah
Posts: 4,815
Default RE: big carp problems

I like my tips to be as sharp as possible. Still, I have problems on 20lb + common carp when they are deep (3+ feet). If they are headed towards me or quartering towards me (even slightly) I just tend to knock off scales. Not always, but enough to be frustrating. (I'm shooting a 40lb compound)

If the fish is quartering away at all, I can usually get him. I think it has to do with the way the scales lay over each other.

That's also why I think the 'dull' point thing was working for some. The point doesn't go thru the middle of a scale but slides a bit until it gets between 'em.Atleast that's the 'theory'.Two guys Iknowwho were recommending this also shoot 70lb bows. So as they say, your mileage may vary...

I'll stick with sharp points. (I'm liking the Cajun hardened tips for my muzzys)
HNI_Christine is offline  
Old 06-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: auburn new york USA
Posts: 2,050
Default RE: big carp problems

thanks 4 the tip ive lost a few giants due to lack of penetration...some 30 pounders
Allseasonhunter7 is offline  
Old 06-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck
robow7's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 623
Default RE: big carp problems

Make sure your arrow is leaving your bow in a fairly straight path or that your bow/arrow is fairly well tuned. If your arrow is fishtailing or porpusing (sp?)a great deal and hitting the water at an awkward angle, you won't get near the penetration as you would have if the arrow was moving in a more straight line path. Might try one of the newer all carbon fish arrows or the Yellow Jacket if your present shaft is not stiff enough. Yea, and I'm with the tip should be sharper camp.
robow7 is offline  
Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 568
Default RE: big carp problems

Thank you all for the replies. I'm about 70% certain that penetration is why I lost those big fish.The remaining 30% could be shot placement. I've never got to see where I hit those big fish at, water blows up and they aretaking line!!I thinkmy arrow is shooting pretty straight, althought I don't think it is paper tuned. Heck most of my arrow's are missing or have the fletching tore up on them. Pass through shots on medium to smallgar have seen to that.

At roughly 55 lbs give or take, I wouldn't think draw weight would be a problem. I could switch over to my Martin deer hunting bow. It's a heck of a lot faster and might give better penetration.

That leaves 2 things I wonder about. What kind of tip do you recomend useing??? I never was very fond of the tips that came on my arrows, but they worked just fine on gar and small carp. I think that I could be shooting a tip that would help hold a big carp better.

The other thing is useing a jug. Has anyone ever tied the end of the line to milk jug or something and just let the fish run. Wear them out that way. I think they do that with big gator gar?

Are big carp less spooky at night?
chiefks is offline  
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: StL, MO
Posts: 745
Default RE: big carp problems

I use Muzzy points. Yes, less spooky at night. I would not jug a carp. No need for fletchings on a fish arrow...take them off. You can "paper tune" by using the water for your paper and the splash as your tear or guide for adjustments needed. Tuning is very important.
RobinAim Low is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Camp Cooking and Game Processing
04-03-2008 06:23 PM
07-22-2007 10:54 AM
Goose Spanker
05-08-2007 01:00 PM
Illinois Bowfishers Club
04-22-2007 04:57 PM
07-03-2006 10:28 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Quick Reply: big carp problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.