Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Are Barrels Suppose to Be Free Floating? >

Are Barrels Suppose to Be Free Floating?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are Barrels Suppose to Be Free Floating?

Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Are Barrels Suppose to Be Free Floating?

I have a question regarding my .45 cal Knight Wolverine. Last night I looked closely at the gun and I found that when the stock lug bolt is screwed all the way in, the barrel near the end of the stock is tight (clamped tight). As I screw the last turn on the lug bolt the receiver and barrel move down (like a teeter totter)and clamp tight to stock. I can't imagine this to be good for accuracy, althought maybe I'm wrong. To me it would be like shooting a gun by placing the barrel, versus the stock, on a shooting rest.

Could this barrel/stock relationship cause my shots to be all of the place? I have been having terrible problems getting this gun to shoot. Hey, does anyone have a Knight rifle that I could compare barrel/stock relationship? Is your barrel touching, clamped tight into stock at the end of the stock?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are Barrels Suppose to Be Free Floating?

On my Wolverine the barrel seems to fit tight on both ends of the stock... the breech is good and tight on that end and the forarm part looks to be in place.

Perhaps you are snugging the barrel down too hard. Try backing it off a little until the rocking effect is not there anymore. Then give it a try. I do know some people bed the rifles. I have never done that. I do try and tighten the barrel to the same feel each time I put it back.

In my Black Diamond XR the barrel is free floating. Might be why that rifle is so accurate...