Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem lv sf free floating? >

Rem lv sf free floating?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem lv sf free floating?

Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 AM

Default Rem lv sf free floating?

I was thinking of free floating the Rem 700 lv sf in .204. The stock is of the "pillar bedding" type, i believe, & I was wondering if it is strong enough to sand down the "pillars" to make it free floating? Or if its even worth it?Accuracy has been only so-so thus far through maybe 150 rds since brand new.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this? Thanks --
Old 03-22-2006, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Rem lv sf free floating?

The barrel should be free floated already. The receiver is pillar bedded, not the barrel. As for accuracy, what are you getting now? Are you keeping the barrel cool, or is it getting hot? What are you expecting for accuracy?Have you tried different loads?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

The barrel should be free floated already. The receiver is pillar bedded, not the barrel. As for accuracy, what are you getting now? Are you keeping the barrel cool, or is it getting hot? What are you expecting for accuracy?Have you tried different loads?
Not so they have the presure points in the forend of the stock as do most Remingtons,and yes I have a 700 lvsf in 7mm-08 so it is fact.I think if you sand down thepreasure points to free float it you will be fine,weather helps accuracy or not you will just have to see.But my bet is it should help.I am still playing with mine and am considering the free float,final desission will come after another trip or two to the range
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Add a thin shim between the pressure point and the barrel. If this does the trick then make the shim permanete. This has worked far better On Remingtons for me. I have glass beded everything but it already shot pretty well so I didn't see much improvment.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:43 PM

I was getting 2-3in groups with factory ammo. I plan on reloading & have reloaded some, but they didn't do much better. The best was maybe 1.5" at 100yds. I know i can shoot better, my 270 A-bolt is easily sub-moa. & yes, i let the barrel cool after each round. I'm planning on trying different bullets, the V-max's haven't been too impressive yet. I'll trying shimming also -
Old 03-22-2006, 04:06 PM

I have had three of these rifles in my shop over the past six months. All of themwere mediocre shooters. We tried free floating - it didn't help much. In fact, as James B suggested, two of themactually shot a little tighter with an increase in fore end pressure. I finally set one of them back a thread and rechambered with a PTG reamer. This made quite a difference, shrinking groups to about the size of a nickel. It appears the factory throat is a little on the long side. Also, the best shooting bullet in all of these guns turned out to be the Sierra Blitzking 39 grain ahead of AA 2460. Good luck. Roskoe.