Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 free floating >

free floating

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

free floating

Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM

Default free floating

I was just wondering what the advantages of free floating and glass bedding my rifle might be? I'm not too up on the procedure, but I like to get every little bit out of everything I own. What do you guys think the advantages are? how about any disadvantages? I'm shooting a Remington 700 BDL 7mm-08. Thanks for any help
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: free floating

first check and see if you even need to do that,use some spacers to elavate the barrel from the forarm,it will mean taking the gun apart and cutting spacers to fit between the stock and action,you dont have to but in much
shin just get it off the wood .then and see what happenes ,it mite shoot better if not try putting a shim at the for arm
Old 10-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Shimming wont do what floating is intended to do. You float a barrel to take away any chance of a stock swelling and moving your action. The barrel normally floats about the width of a buisness card completely off of the stock (usually starting about an inch in front of the recoil lug. If you shim the barrel up, you are dong nothing to take stock swell out of play.

Bedding the action is done to give a solid and consistent platform for your action to contact the stock, it also helps relieve some of the woes of stock swelling. There are 2 types glass bedding and pillar.

I have a BDL in 7mm. First thing I did was scrap the stock. I found a stock for the LSS model ( laminated) Laminated stocks resist changing with conditions better than wood.

You can never hurt something by making it more accurate is my opinion.

I would have a gunsmith bed the rifle and float the barrel for you. Bedding is messy...and permanent...you do it wrong and you ahve basically epoxied your action together...lol. While the gunsmith has it, have him put in a Timney trigger, new bolt shroud, stiffer firing pin springs, re-crown it, etc,etc...lol..you see where I am going with this...once you start, you may as well go all the way.

Good Luck with it,
Frankie

Old 10-27-2005, 04:52 PM

it may already be free floating. my 700 adl came from the factory with a free floating barrel. it did have a composite stock with pillars for mounting. there was no need to change anything. it was floated almost all the way to front mounting screw. can get much better than that. to check take a dollar bill and pull it backbetween the barrel and the stock to see how far down itwill go. myself i think that pillar mounting seems to be a little better than the glass bedding. each to their own i guess.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM

i no expert and i not red all the post so i hope i not repeating any one. ok from what i gather a free floting barrle has harmonics so it is like a bigtooning fork after ever shoot. at least that what i herd on a sniper movie call snipers stlak and kill
i still never real got what they were talken about. and as for the beads i have no idea
Old 10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to replace the stock with a synthetic with a full length bedding block I prefer the Hogue Overmold stocks they usually sell for around 169.00 chad
Old 10-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: chma

I prefer to replace the stock with a synthetic with a full length bedding block I prefer the Hogue Overmold stocks they usually sell for around 169.00 chad
Actually many gunsmiths now recommend skim bedding the stocks with the aluminum bedding blocks.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shepdogwv

I was just wondering what the advantages of free floating and glass bedding my rifle might be? I'm not too up on the procedure, but I like to get every little bit out of everything I own. What do you guys think the advantages are? how about any disadvantages? I'm shooting a Remington 700 BDL 7mm-08. Thanks for any help
A sporting rifle barrel MIGHTbenefit from being free-floated, and it might not! Some sporter-weight barrels shoot better if there is some upward pressureon the underside of the barrel near the front of the forend. The sad part is you never know which type of bedding will be best on any given gun until you try the different approaches, and you can't put wood back into the barrel channel after you have hogged out enough to get the barrel floated. Therefore, the best approach is to try the upward pressure-point method first, and if this gives acceptable accuracy, you're in business. If it doesn't, you can try free-floating next.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

eldequello is sooooooooo rite that pressure point can be very inportant , it has to be tryed to understand just what it will do for you ,but if its a heavey barrel it will most likley haveto flote ,but please try the simple things first
Old 10-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one difference that I have found between free floating a barrel and using a pressure point is that the point of impact seems to be more consistant with a free floated barrel.I noticed this when shooting my rifles in varying temperatures which for my hunting can range from -30F to +70F.

Quick Reply: free floating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.