Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Free floating??? >

Free floating???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Free floating???

Old 02-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Free floating???

I've never been concerned with making my rifle too much more accurate, like I've said before, I've shot washington off a dollar bill at 375 yrds with my .30-06. I'm thinking about getting a new .30-06, b/c I like shooting the one I have now so much, I'm wanting to start shooting it more than a hunting rifle should be, making it a benchrest gun. If I do though, I want to take it out as far as it will go, and I might consider to do the same to my new hunting rifle if it isn't as accurate as I'd like it to be. I've learned what bedding is, and I can see how it would effect accuracy noticeably, but what is free floating???? I've come to assume that it means that the bedding holds the barrel and action rather than screws or bolts, but I can't see how that holds the barrel down in the stock. What is free floating exactly, and how much does it effect the gun's inherent accuracy.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Free floating???

I've never heard of it before, but it sounds interesting.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Free floating refers to the barrel not touching the stock through the entire length of the barrel channel. Usualy bedding is when the action is mated to a compound that is formed to the action itself. Giving it a perfect surface surrounding the lugs and action to prevent movement or twisting of the action during the firing of the gun.
If the action is bedded good and the barrel is free floated, it sould (if the ammo and every thing else is perfectly the same) "IN THEORY" it should shoot in the same hole! But that is another post entirely.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Host of Hosts

If freefloating is so good then why don't the top rifle makers do it?

Savage= excellent out of box accuracy
Win and Rem= very respectable accuracy
Marlin Mr7(bolt gun) great accuracy, until I started playing with it.
Interarms= Good accuracy

If these companies found that freefloating was such a big advantage, why don't they do it? Surely people would pay a higher price for sub MOA accuracy.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:53 PM
bigcountry

Hey Fight, they do, they are. The savage 10FP is free floated but looks to need some accurizing or adjusting to make fit well with the action. The sendero's and accumarks have H-S precision with have full lenght bedding which is arguablely good too. Look at browns, or any of the custom gun makers. Most all use Mcmillian, alum. pillar bedded and free floated. The bedding I never had great luck with is the pressure bedding remington does with their BDL's and others. I put a little pressure point in the front which I always take out.

Old 02-24-2002, 07:45 PM

The good rifle makers do float their barrels. Sako, Tikka, CZ...
Old 02-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some barrels will shoot best free-floated, while others require some upward pressure at the forend tip, and some need to have contact the whole distance between the front of the receiver ring and the forend tip. Each barrel is an individual in this respect, and one never knows which arrangement is best for a particular rifle without trying each bedding method.

Larry
Old 02-25-2002, 12:13 PM
bigcountry

I have heard that before also. But then, why does Ed Brown, and Jarrett rifles always free float their rifles always. Why does Hart, and douglas recommend free floating?

Quick Reply: Free floating???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.