Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No Excuse Cayugad

Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Default No Excuse Cayugad

I rarely impressed these days. But have to say your groups with the no excuse bullets are pretty extrodiary. But I bet they kick like a bull. I don't mind the kick of a 250gr with 130gr of 777 at all. But figured this would be a tad more.

What I am asking is I have a few knights, I was going to put these thru. Maybe T/C hawken I got. Do they fit alot like a maxiball? I had trouble with a maxi not staying seated on my powder. Want to make sure that don't happen.

About how much are they for the 460gr .50?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: No Excuse Cayugad

No Excuses Conicals

Since I only shoot 85 grains of Goex 3f or Triple Se7en FFg the recoil is not all that bad at all. I have never tried to push them harder. On some different boards I had read how White Rifle shooters were able to shoot these conicals with such amazing accuracy with such a medium range charge. Well come to find out because of their weight, they still retain a lot of energy even at long ranges.

I ordered my first box for my scoped Black Diamond XR and after about the third shot I could not believe how well they shot. They are slip fit like a powerbelt so they are easy to load and I have never had them come off the charge. Although I admit I have never tried to intentionally shake them off a load. I should actually do that.

Last year after walking in to the stand and climbing up into the tree I checked them with the ramrod to make sure they were still on the load and discovered they had not moved.

The Conicals sell for $19.95 and I think with shipping they were around $26.00 for 50 of them which make them half the price of powerbelts. They come pre-lubed. I am going to give them a test with wads under them this spring when the 100 yard range opens up.

Before I put the RED DOT on my Knight Wolverine II I tried them at the 50 yard line. I shot clover leafs with open sights (although I love the sights on that Wolverine). Due to running low on them and needing them for hunting I did not test more. And I use Barnes Expanders out of the Wolverine for a hunting load.

If you have never tried them, it would be worth giving them a try. With your excellent quality rifles I would be interested in how well they shoot for you. I have not pushed them harder, but I have read and followed your posts and I am sure you would have to try... That would really be interesting.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM

I'm glad I read this post from you and Big Country. I checked out the website for No Excuse bullets and I'm ordering a box to try. I'm going to shoot them from both my Ruger 77/50 and the "El-Cheapo" Navy Arms Country Boy with its "made in China" barrel starting out with 75 grains of Black Mag3. I'll let you know how they fly when I get them. You can't beat how trustworthy the guy is with him sending you his product before you even pay for it. I've been using Buffalo 285 grain bullets from my 45 smokepoles for years now and I'm curious to see how well these No Excuse bullets will load in 50 caliber. I can't say the Buffalo bullets have been easy to load like these No Excuses say they will do so if they fly good for me in 50, then I'll have to try some in my 45's, too.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:08 PM

In my Knight Wolverine .45 cal, I have tried 200 grain shockwaves, 195 grain aero tip powerbelts, and 180 grain xtp with brown knight sabot. I have varied my powder charge between 80 and 110 grains of triple seven. Nothing has provided any consistency. The Powerbelts gave me about a 10 inch group at 100 yards. After I took the scope off and put the red dot scope on, I got a 4 inch string (up and down) of shots at 100 yards with the 180 grain xtps and 90 grains of triple seven. I am wondering if the scope I am using, a Bushnell Trophy 3-9-40, is broke and is not holding zero. I bought the scope brand new, just after Christmas this year. The next projectile I will use are the No Excuse's. I have heard so many good things about them on these forums from Cayugad.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Coyotemark........................

The .45s tend to be a lot more picky about bullets than our .50cals are. I suggest, based on the twist of the bore, shooting as heavy of a projectile you can find. The 385gr No Excuses in .45cal would sure fit that description. Load them up with 80 to 100gr of powder and see what they do. You might also want to try the 275gr PowerBelts as well.

If I was you, I think I would take off the scope for the next trip to the range and see what kind of groups you can get at 50yds with the open sights off of a rest. If you get something you're happy with that way, then put the scope back on and see what the results are with the same load.

Also 2 other things to do to accurize the gun is:
1) make sure the action/barrel is seated properly in the stock. Loosen the screw holding them together and jiggle the barrel to make sure it is sitting correctly in the stock & tighten it up.
2) the bore may be a little rough if it's new. Get some J-Bs (or similiar) bore paste and work 6 to 12 patches of it thru the bore and then clean it well with your normal method.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I would be real interested to see how well a 460 grain No Excuses works out of the Knight .45 caliber. The reason I want to see is the .45 caliber to my understanding is an excellent conical caliber with the long projectile. I have a feeling that the long .45 caliber projectile will work real good for you. I thought about buying a Knight Wolverine in .45 caliber just to see how well things shoot out of it, but I really have no use for another inline or that caliber.

I am kind of surprised that the Knight has not shot any projectile for you well. Have you tried any of the larger Barnes or Knight Red hot projectiles?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
bigcountry

Coyote, that is surpriseing. I hope I am not offending you asking, but are you loading to the witness mark on your ramrod? I also suggest trying the barnes expanders.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 PM

I am pretty sure that I am. After I pour the powder down the barrel, I tap the barrel and proceed to load the projectile. The powerbelts were very very easy to push down, when compared to the other sabot loads. I really hoped the powerbelts would have worked, as I like loading them (effortless). I always swab in between shots with combo mix of alcohol and antifreeze. I have been using antifreeze cause it has commonly been below freezing over here in Wisconsin. Do you think that the scope is screwed up, cause when I used my red dot scope, my shots only varied up and down and not left and right.

During my shooting at 50 yards, I would get two bullets touching, then one shot to the right 5 inches, then one shot to the left of my first shots 5-6 inches, then one shot low. I changed scope mounts from weaver style to a Burris standard base with Burris rings that have plastic holding inserts (these were expensive). Even with this setup, I got the same results.

I cleaned the muzzleloader thouroughly after 13 or so shots, but the barrel got swabed between shots. I am using a good solid rest on a bench.

The Gun (Knight Wolverine .45 Cal) seems like a solid good gun. The trigger is outstanding and the balance of the gun is good. I just can't seem to get it to shoot. Either I am doing something wrong, or who knows? Any suggestions would be great. Should I send the scope in for repair? I have a .50 cal Staghorn and I had no problems getting a two inch group at 100 yards with 250 grain Shockwaves and two pellots. I have shot nearly two and a half pounds of triple seven ffg. I AM FRUSTRATED
Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I think it would be time I would remove the scope and shoot the open sights if they have some. Start at close ranges and work my way back some.

Also I would change powders. I think I would try some Pyrodex RS or Goex. And then work through the same kind of projectiles you did before.

If all else fails I would send the rifle back to Knight and see if they could figure the rifle out.