HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No Excuse Cayugad
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Mark whiz
Typical Buck

Default RE: No Excuse Cayugad

Coyotemark........................

The .45s tend to be a lot more picky about bullets than our .50cals are. I suggest, based on the twist of the bore, shooting as heavy of a projectile you can find. The 385gr No Excuses in .45cal would sure fit that description. Load them up with 80 to 100gr of powder and see what they do. You might also want to try the 275gr PowerBelts as well.

If I was you, I think I would take off the scope for the next trip to the range and see what kind of groups you can get at 50yds with the open sights off of a rest. If you get something you're happy with that way, then put the scope back on and see what the results are with the same load.

Also 2 other things to do to accurize the gun is:
1) make sure the action/barrel is seated properly in the stock. Loosen the screw holding them together and jiggle the barrel to make sure it is sitting correctly in the stock & tighten it up.
2) the bore may be a little rough if it's new. Get some J-Bs (or similiar) bore paste and work 6 to 12 patches of it thru the bore and then clean it well with your normal method.