Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BP guns blowing up? >

BP guns blowing up?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP guns blowing up?

Old 02-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Default RE: BP guns blowing up?

And now thanks to the internet, you are worried/concerned about something you never had a reason to be concerned about.
I for one am not worried about it but its nice to be informed. I would of hated to of gone to some estate sale or gun show and picked up a CVA Apollo not knowing that it is a potential time bomb. Information is what you make of it. As I am sure you already know you have to make up your own mind on what is important and valid here. I personally think any issue regarding the safety of a product, especially when dealing with guns is worth at least taking the time to explore the issue. No one here is forcing anyone to not to buy a BPI product or telling you that your going to blow one up if you own one. What is being stated is information that shows the importance of using good judgement when using a gun and the experience other have had with black powder muzzleloaders..
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

Hey hoss, I got all the right in the world to put my opinion out there. And nobody is going to stop me.

I throw out things for people to think about also like Randy, but I don't try to get paid for it. Just a hobbyist like the rest on this board. Things to chew on. If you feel belittled, its really your issue. I sure wasn't aiming to hurt your feelings but for an example of the rest of the forum about the effects of his fear mongering. Still waiting on the official stastics. I feel the US has went thru this safety era, which is driving me nuts. Media pumping people full of fear. You won't believe this, but I think some states, not sure which, require you to take a class to shoot a ML. Does anyone on this forum believe a ML class is required before you buy any ML?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Hey folks,

This thread really is going Type "A". Perhaps this one has run it's course.

It would be more beneficial for everyone that posts of this nature to include details surrounding the incident. Results of an official investigation would be helpful or the link to them.
Not just "MFG A" guns are blowing up!, Run for your lives and don't buy their products".

Posting in this manner really does appear "activist" in nature. If there is an issue, than I think everyone is interested.

My view is to post without details and the "history" just stir nirvana based on a secular understanding, not that as a general consensus.

I'm not picking on anyone here and no one else should.

My .002 and I'm through with this post.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is what started this thread.

What causes ones gun to explodeor blow up?I heard on the radio the day after New Years someone was carrying on a tradition and firing a blackpowder gun and it exploded and killed him.I was just wandering what causes this to happen.
Notice, this person shooting this gun was not at the range working up a load. He wasn't hunting. He most likely was shooting a gun that hadn't been cleaned since the previous New Year, and was probably too drunk to bother getting a powder measure. If he indeed was drunk, and if the gun was one year full of rust, how far do you think he got the projectile down the barrel?

That is what I think "causes this to happen."

I think it is a healthy thing to enter into shooting muzzleloaders with a level head, and respect for all the elements of this sport.

I think the moral of this thread should have been;
Be conscerned with the guy on the front porch with a Muzzleloader at midnight. Don't be leary of the gun.

C. Davis
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

And he was probably holding it at arms length, pointed up, with the breech parallel from his face. Any shrapnel would hit him directly in the head. If he was shooting the gun properly, his face would be behind the breech and would probably have resulted in minor injuries or possibly none at all.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Spike

I am new to muzzleloading and also new to this site. I just registered because of some very interesting subject matter that I read. Now I am not to sure if I care to be involved since viewing some of the "cock fights" that are going on here. Hopfully this isn't another one of those 'macho man', 'I'll kick your butt' sites where some have nothing better to do.

Anyway I am very thankful for people like Randy Wakeman, who take considerable time and effort to inform others of what may be good, bad, or so-so. This of course is his opinion, and we all have opinions, but at least its a start in the right direction. When you look at all of the ML manufacturer advertisments, all you see is their their self proclaimation of being '#1 - Worlds Biggest Seller - Most Accurate - etc". I did, and was confused as #@$$. So I went to different retail sellers for information, BASS PRO Cabelas, etc, and got more confused. Then I searched on the internet for anything regarding ML's and discovered Randy Wakeman name scattered everywhere. Read most everything he offered.

MY OPINION is this, without people taking the time to really check things out, how would we know? I sure don't get anything in the mail telling me what ML is good or bad. And to the person complaining about the internet contributing to mass histeria, dude wake up and get a life! Yes there is a lot of BS on the net, but you must have some common sense to be able to sort that out. I am thankful there is so much info on muzzleloading. And yes, some is contradictory but I feel its better to have "too much info than none at all".

Randy Wakeman led me in the right direction on purchasing my first ML. I made the decision on what I was buying but it was his hands-on expierence and reviews that guided that decision and a I am very thankful to him.

I may not agree with all he says but I am darn thankful for him doing the homework so I didn't go out and throw money down the drain on my first ML.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:20 AM

Encore50, first off welcome to the site. It's a wonderful thing to have a plethora of useful information right at your fingertips. The way I use these sites is buffet style, if it is of interest then I indulge, if not, then I leave it alone. I happen to take safety very seriously so I find myself interested in threads that pertain to it. I will say my convictions are strong when it comes to safety and firearms. That is my opinion. I made the mistake of thinking everyone else was like minded. I copy and pasted Randy's essay in the beginning of this thread only to let others read it and make their own conclusions. I had no idea it would generate such a response. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe it isn't. I do know, after reading the entire thread several times, I am more convinced than ever not to buy any muzzleloader that doesn't have a reputable company standing behind their product and I also know that not all people are going to agree on every issue. I enjoy a spirited debate, it's one of the ways I learn things. So from this I learned not only do I have to be extra careful at the range when shooting M/Ler's but I have to be cognizant of what the guy next to me is doing and SHOOTING.