Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Different Ignitions ( Instead pf 209 primers ) >

Different Ignitions ( Instead pf 209 primers )

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Different Ignitions ( Instead pf 209 primers )

Old 01-31-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Different Ignitions ( Instead pf 209 primers )

Has anyone tried the Precision Rifles alternative primers on the Encore's or Omega's?? The have either a .22 Hornet Ignition or a .25 ACP small rifle primer instead of the 209. They claim that they cause less fouling and help with accuracy does anyone know if this is real or not???
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Different Ignitions ( Instead pf 209 primers )

A friend of mine just got his custom Encore barrel that uses a .25ACP casing as the ignition. There are several people using them now. It is supposed to give a more accurate ignition, and better grouping due to the more consistant ignition. He hasn't shot his yet, but a couple of his buddies have them, and said they will never go back to the 209 primers.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang, I just got both of mine converted to a 209 and now there is something better, This gun stuff is getting just about as bad as computers, one over 6 month old and you are behind times LOL.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Allegiance05

Has anyone tried the Precision Rifles alternative primers on the Encore's or Omega's?? The have either a .22 Hornet Ignition or a .25 ACP small rifle primer instead of the 209. They claim that they cause less fouling and help with accuracy does anyone know if this is real or not???
I've got the 25 ACP conversion on my Omega. There is no difference in accuracy although there is a difference in blowback and crud ring with 777. I get no blowback and a minor crud ring vs. the mild blow by and terrible crud ring. Not to mention that the primed brass is easier to handle than loose primers. The biggest downside is having to mess with the brass. Still working on a solution to that.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

My Omega has been converted to the .25ACP brass and even though I no longer use 777 due to the crud ring problems (the cooler primer fixed about 80% of the problem in my rifle). I now use only Black Mag'3 and that also took care of the fouling of the .25ACP brass which needs to be recycled. With BM3 the fouling is practically non-existent. I can just reprime the brass and go again. With other powder I had to soak the brass and keep it from getting corroded. If you are a no mess guy go with the BM3 powder if you can find it. The .25ACP conversion is much easier to handle than the 209 primers when reloading in the field with cold hands. I really like mine.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I thought about it prior to switching to Black Mag'3 powder for the Omega.
I also use Winchester 209 Primers which are on the cooler side.

No problems here.