Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Powder? >

American Pioneer Powder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder?

Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder?

newhunter35 try 888-255-6243 like I said real nice guy
they are very busy but that should work for you.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try 888-255-6243 thats the number he gave me.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:03 PM

Thanks Coyote--the number I was using was the one listed on their website. It was quite frustrating to get the same message everyday for close to 10 days. Sometimes I would try almost every hour up till 4 pm. Thanks again.

paul
Old 01-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can reach Wendle at 888-255-6243 he is real
nice and great to work with!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote 170,
I think your gonna like the American Pioneer Powder. I've been using it in a Knight for about 5yrs.

As Triple 7 already stated Keep it Dry Dry Dry. A Huge Biggy with APP. I keep a pound and pitch it after 2yrs. This yr I switched from the FF to FFF. Much easier to work with and slightly less residue.

Short Story;
I just highly recommended APP to a friend whose T/C I just spent 2 days working on. The guy had never removed the breech plug(7yrs) OR properly cleaned the barrel or plug. In past couple years he's missed,wounded deer and had at least 2 misfires all due to improper care. I salvaged the barrel,but strongly suggested APP over Pyro or 777 simply because I know he will never really properly clean the weapon. APP is alot more forgiving as far as corrosion.

Your gonna love it!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

APP is good, but for your friend that won't clean his rifle properly maybe he should look at Black Mag'3. It is difficult to find out west but you guys should be able to find it at a dealer. It is supposed to be non-corrosive. I have not proven that yet but I intend to do some corrosion testing. I think I will set some off on a clean steel plate and then just leave it outside to see what happens with a similar plate that does not get the powder. What do you think??
Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ML,

I already convinced another Buddy who just bought his 1st smoke pole 2 yrs ago to switch to APP. He left Pyro and the load in barrel for a year! I cleaned that mess up and managed to restore barrel. He loves the APP in premeasured loose.

Some of these guys just don't understand no matter what you use it will eventually destroy your beloved smoke pole if you don't clean the freekin thing NOW - NOT LATER,3-6 MONTHS,1 YEAR, OR for God Sake 7 Freekin Yrs!

Seen Black Mag somewhere around here but can't remember where. I'm gonna stick with APP in the Knight and still use BP in my T/C. I would only switch to Black Mag if somebody hands down convinced me it would out perform APP. IMO Black Powder is the best thing you can burn in a smoke pole - But gotta clean it like a baby everyday during the season.

I would be interested in the results of your test of the 2 powders. That's the kind of info we ned here.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got my new Cabelas shooting catalog they sell American
Pioneer Powder,saves running all over the country,makes
it easier now!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

I ran a test of ffg APP,ffg 777, and Black Mag'3 just before my hunt. I shot three shot groups at 100 yards with 100gr. volume measures of all three powders and a 300gr. bullet in a Harvester sabot at 7,000 ft. altitude at about 65 degrees F. This was with a stainless T/C .50 Omega with the .25ACP conversion breechplug shooting Winchester standard small rifle primers. I detailed the whole thing on another site but will condense it here. Accuracy was better than one minute of angle with BM3, with increasing winds during the test the rest for accuracy was not a fair comparison. Velocity as follows, 777 - 1643fps. APP - 1670fps. BM3 - 1920fps. Clean up was as follows: 777 minor crud ring not allowing second shot without two wet patches followed by dry patch , APP one wet patch followed by one dry patch allowed second shot, BM3 took all three shots without any swab between shots (after third shot ran a dry patch and got a small amount of gray powder on the patch). Recoil with the 777 was sharp and uncomfortable, Recoil with the APP was better and somewhat manageable. Recoil with the BM3 was the easiest to take (apparently the light off time is somewhat slower than 777 but builds quickly as the charge starts up the barrel resulting in higher final velocity without the sharp slap that 777 exibits). I shot one group using BM3 and a 209 Winchester primer and results were similar to the previous except the velocity increased slightly to average of 2004fps. Based on above information I decided to hunt with a 90gr. load of BM3 under a 300gr. bullet which passed completely through a cow elk rib cage at about 100 yards. Specific information beyond this you can email direct at: [email protected]
Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote: Ii you order it through Cabelas, you will pay a Hazardous material fee of about $20-25, so you better get several lbs. to make it worth your while.

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.