Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Powder? >

American Pioneer Powder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder?

Old 02-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder?

Thanks for the info ML I had read something to that effect and
just wanted a clear answer from someone who has actually used
the "sticks". I have had good results from 777 and Pyro. pellets.
So until someone reinvents the next powder I'll stick with these.
Again thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Spike

Hi guy's, i been hunting with a muzzleloader ever since the early 70's.Like always i still look for better thing's.I been reading this thread about APP powder, well i been use it in stick form and like it pretty much like that to, i might add.
But now i want to try some this Black Mag 3 powder out.Does anyone know if it is made in Pellet Form? Are or there in any plans to?
thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Black Mag'3 has a product in development that they showed at the Shot Show called Thundercharge. It is a solid propellant with a bullet attached to the top. Looks a little like the Hornady with pellets stuck on the stem except that it is all one piece. I'm not much of a pellet enthusiast but you asked and I know a little about the plans of Magkor. I understand that the bullet may be similar to a Powerbelt but probably will be developed specially for Magkor. I got this information second hand but I think it is reliable.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Spike

Thanks MLKeith, thats what i like to hear,but i think Magkor might ought to rethink about fixing the bullet to the powder charge.I for one might want a diffrent style/type bullet.But i am glad to hear they are testing a solid propellant.
ORIGINAL: MLKeith

Black Mag'3 has a product in development that they showed at the Shot Show called Thundercharge. It is a solid propellant with a bullet attached to the top. Looks a little like the Hornady with pellets stuck on the stem except that it is all one piece. I'm not much of a pellet enthusiast but you asked and I know a little about the plans of Magkor. I understand that the bullet may be similar to a Powerbelt but probably will be developed specially for Magkor. I got this information second hand but I think it is reliable.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:10 PM

LaryFox1 I too had the same question, so I e-mailed magkor
They were very prompt in returning my e-mail. If fact it came
through on a Sunday. Anyway they stated that they will not
offer Black Mag'3 in pellet form. They are going to introduce, what
they call a caseless cartridge. Pre-measured powder with one of
their bullets sitting on top. It will be called "Thunder Charge".
As hard as I tried, they would not give me a release date only
stating it would be soon. So maybe it will come out early enough
to run some tests before ML season gets here. If anyone else
has any information on this I would appreciate it if they would
post it.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Spike

Thanks H20mAn,i myself thinks that this would/is going to turn out bad,If magkor insist on making the charge with a bullet attach to it.Iam sure that there would be other's that will think it is also.I have e-mail magkor myself, but my words about this, fall on deaft ears.
ORIGINAL: H2OmAn

LaryFox1 I too had the same question, so I e-mailed magkor
They were very prompt in returning my e-mail. If fact it came
through on a Sunday. Anyway they stated that they will not
offer Black Mag'3 in pellet form. They are going to introduce, what
they call a caseless cartridge. Pre-measured powder with one of
their bullets sitting on top. It will be called "Thunder Charge".
As hard as I tried, they would not give me a release date only
stating it would be soon. So maybe it will come out early enough
to run some tests before ML season gets here. If anyone else
has any information on this I would appreciate it if they would
post it.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

American Pioneer Powder along with Goex have came out with a new powder that might interest some of you. The powder is called Pinnacle Replica Black Powder for Muzzleloaders. I bought two pounds of it from a Goex distributor. It was after I purchased it I learned it is made by American Pioneer Powder.

The powder is very interesting to say the least. I first would note, get the FFFg grain instead of the FFg. Like the old Clean Shot this stuff is kind of course. It is jet black in color. Still makes nice smoke, but no stink..

The powder so far out of three rifles I have tested it in has produced no crud ring at all. And fowling is little to none. I tested it in a T/C Black Diamond XR, Knight Wolverine II, and a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins percussion cap lock.

Today in the Wolverine, I shot four shots first and then swabbed the barrel clean. It took two patches and there was no crud ring and very little fowling. I do shoot #11 caps in the Wolverine. I was shooting 90 grains of Pinnacle 3f. I was shooting 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's.

I then shot 12 more XTP's without swabbing the barrel. They all loaded as easy as the first one. Accuracy was very good actually. Although towards the 10th projectile they did start to string a little on me.

This is the result of shooting the Black Diamond XR numerous times and then swabbing the barrel before the final cleaning. As you can see by the five patches there really was not all that much fowling in the barrel. Even with the 209 Winchester Primers, there was no crud ring in the Diamond and fowling was slight..

Accuracy with the powder was real good all except when I tried to shoot some large No Excuses Conicals out of the Black Diamond XR. The rifle and that powder just did not click.

Overall the powder is very clean burning. It also cleans out of the gun easy. Fowling is next to nothing. Accuracy is good with sabots. Recoil reminds me of shooting Goex 3f. The only thing I noticed was there were moisture packets in the plastic jar the powder comes in. So to see if it is moisture sensative I kept it outside in the cold and we have a couple feet of snow on the ground but it was not snowing today. It never clumped or showed moisture problems.

This stuff is rumored to work in flintlocks, so we will see if that is true this weekend. I still have well over a pound to shoot out of the two with only two days of shooting under my belt with the powder.....
Old 03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

You can reach AP by clicking RIGHT HERE.

Next, click the link that says Contact Us.
The fine folks there will let you know of a closest-by retail store. It may take $10 in gas round-trip, but that beats paying HAZMAT & shipping.

When you purchase it, buy the FFF. The FF is so thick that it won't pour out any brass/black plastic flask I own. Treat the contents of that powder with a nice, dry climate & only take what you need to the range.... not the entire container.

When returning from the range, keep what's remaining in another container... don't mix it & if temperature changes are drastic, try to moderate the temperature of that AP powder to another climate slowly.

That stuff is sugar-based & grabs moisture easily & won't let go. Keep it dry & you'll be a happy camper... oops shooter... for the life of the jug.

TRIPLE SEVEN, I PRE-MEASURE LOADS AND KEEP THEM IN SMALL MEDICAL VIALS WITH SCREW ON LIDS.DIFFERENT LOADS
WITH DIFFERENT COLOR LIDS . MEDICAL VIALS ARE THICK PLASTIC AND DO NOT BREAK IN YOUR POCKET.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta love that APP powder!!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

this

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.