Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Powder? >

American Pioneer Powder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder?

Thanks txhunter58 its either that or drive 150 miles to
Memphis so will eat the haz mat and live with it![8D]
Old 02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

MLK,
Interesting info on the BM3. I'll have to pay attention to further info. I love the APP but am always open to something with better overall performance and easy clean up.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I have heard, If I was going to eat the hazardous fee, I would probably order some Black Mag3 to try.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Southern Rod and Gun in Sikeston,Mo. will be stocking both powders
new shop good people,and lots of goodies!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was told that with black mag you have to use lower loads. from what i underdstood it is not the same volume as the others. thats why you probably got the higher velocity.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i was told that with black mag you have to use lower loads. from what i underdstood it is not the same volume as the others. thats why you probably got the higher velocity.
Black Mag'3 is a very fine powder. Like the fffg grades of other powders there is more energy per volume than with a less fine powder. So your statement is basically correct. More energy in BM3 per volume load than most other ffg powders. I would not shoot more than a 120gr. charge in a rifle that is listed as a 150gr. capable rifle. 90gr. with a 300gr. bullet does a job on elk.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Anyone used APP pellets er oh excuse me I mean sticks? Iread somewhere that the sticks are not an exact amount of powder?
I talked with someone named Don at APP he explained that his
outside sales people were going to talk to the sportingoods people
at the 2 super wally worlds here in Ky. about carrying the APP
brands. So if anyone can enlighten me on the use of APP sticks
I would definately appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a pound of the "sticks". They are very irregular in shape and they weigh a variety of grains each. I personally do not see how they can be very reliable for the same energy each time. The variation from stick to stick is considerably greater than any of the pellets of 777 or Pyrodex. I intend to break mine up and make powder out of them.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

By the way if anyone else considers breaking them up. DO NOT USE A HAMMER ON AN ANVIL TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
They need to be broken up with considerable care as they can be ignited by too much impact or any sparks. Be warned this is not a thing to be considered lightly. Maybe I will just go out and bury mine after thinking about it.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

It was my understanding that breaking them up is a very bad and possible dangerous idea. These are made to be ignited in a set manner and breaking them up will cause some strange load energy. I would personally load them as best as I can the way they are, you can write it off to experience, send the company a letter with your complaint of their product and see if they make some compensation if you want, and then in the future get some loose powder.

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.