HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - American Pioneer Powder?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
MLKeith
Typical Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder?

I ran a test of ffg APP,ffg 777, and Black Mag'3 just before my hunt. I shot three shot groups at 100 yards with 100gr. volume measures of all three powders and a 300gr. bullet in a Harvester sabot at 7,000 ft. altitude at about 65 degrees F. This was with a stainless T/C .50 Omega with the .25ACP conversion breechplug shooting Winchester standard small rifle primers. I detailed the whole thing on another site but will condense it here. Accuracy was better than one minute of angle with BM3, with increasing winds during the test the rest for accuracy was not a fair comparison. Velocity as follows, 777 - 1643fps. APP - 1670fps. BM3 - 1920fps. Clean up was as follows: 777 minor crud ring not allowing second shot without two wet patches followed by dry patch , APP one wet patch followed by one dry patch allowed second shot, BM3 took all three shots without any swab between shots (after third shot ran a dry patch and got a small amount of gray powder on the patch). Recoil with the 777 was sharp and uncomfortable, Recoil with the APP was better and somewhat manageable. Recoil with the BM3 was the easiest to take (apparently the light off time is somewhat slower than 777 but builds quickly as the charge starts up the barrel resulting in higher final velocity without the sharp slap that 777 exibits). I shot one group using BM3 and a 209 Winchester primer and results were similar to the previous except the velocity increased slightly to average of 2004fps. Based on above information I decided to hunt with a 90gr. load of BM3 under a 300gr. bullet which passed completely through a cow elk rib cage at about 100 yards. Specific information beyond this you can email direct at: [email protected]