Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new omega in the mail, which load to pick >

new omega in the mail, which load to pick

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new omega in the mail, which load to pick

Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 PM

Default new omega in the mail, which load to pick

i just bought my first ml, and i was sold on the omega. ss/lam
i am just probing for the best load combo people have found.
i was thinking 295 powerbelts and 2 pellets (777 or pyrodex???)
i have read many posts and i have no definitive answer.
thanks

Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new omega in the mail, which load to pick

If your stainless Omega is like mine it is not going to like 777. I would try to get some American Pioneer Powder or Black Mag3 (I prefer BM3 but it is difficult to find as yet because it is fairly new). If you cannot find APP or BM3 I would go with the Pyrodex either loose or pellets. (I prefer loose powder). Make sure you do not use Federal 209 primers as they are way too hot. Try CCI primers;if not avaiable use Remington;if not available use Winchester. Start your loads at about 80gr. and work up in 5grain increments until you get the best groups. My groups seem to be the best at about 100gr. of powder with 295gr. Powerbelts. Much more than that and the groups open up. You may have to shoot several powerbelts before the barrel smooths up. Stainless tends to be a little more rough than the blued barrels. I lapped mine to get rid of the rough surface.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Call me dumb, but what does lapping your barrel mean?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a dog that was similar looking. Is that a pure bred Schnauzer or 1/2 bred Schnoodle?... cool pic

With pellets, Pyro is the better buy UNLESS you're lazy about cleaning right after range/hunting work. Pyro is more corrosive but cheaper with the same amount of velocity/energy as 777 pellets.

Omegas are not fussy creatures. Also had no problems with my SS barrel.... smooth as silk. That gun likes almost anything in sabots from 180-400 grains. Likes monster conicals too that are over 400 grains. I think... just by a tad... that it prefers the 348s over the 295s in my experiences with the 100 grain neighborhood. The copper hollow-points produce the least problems/complaints with Powerbelt deer kills. Midsouthshooterssupply.com sells them the cheapest, but just like every January, they are out of alot of em' & re-ordering.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

Call me dumb, but what does lapping your barrel mean?
Wait until you get your rifle and see how it loads and shoots. If you have one that the machining left a microscopic "rough" surface it is possible that "lapping" can be of benefit. If the rifle shoots and loads to your satisfaction forget the lapping idea. There are long messages and descriptions of lapping methods. Personally I did a very mild lapping of my barrel with JB Bore Paste on patches over a brass brush as I was having major problems getting sabots of any kind to load. I have talked with others that had the same problem and apparently there are some that do not (Triple Seven for instance). So wait and shoot and see. The more you shoot the rifle the better the barrel will get (as long as you don't shoot only sabots since they do not smooth the barrel as well as barrel touching bullets like Powerbelts). Don't look for more to do until you need it. Good luck with the Omega even though I had a little trouble getting mine started it is a great rifle now.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use 2 of the 777 pellets out of my SS Omega w/ 285 gr (I believe) TC sabots. Shoots like a dream.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 AM

I get good accuracy and terminal performance with 80 grains of 777 under a 260 grain .451 Nosler Partition HG in high pressure sabot.

Took a broadside doe last Sat. evening at last light, a 100-120 yard off hand shot. The bullet clipped the near side leg bone, just barely grazed the heart, and missed the far side leg upon exiting through a rib. She ran about a hundred yards into a picked cornfield on 3 legs and no lungs. Entry wound was about 2-3 inches across, exit wound about the size of a quarter. I've yet to recover a Nosler from any of the deer I've dropped. Based on from what I've seen, the Nosler is devastating. The only downside to them is they are a little pricey.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:28 PM

dog is a shihtzu, wifes dog, but funny pic. thanks for all of the replies. i get her tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I have a stainless omega and it Loves 777,loose and pellets,shoots 250 gr sst's,348 and 405 powerbelts very well.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My SS Omega has shot most everything I have put in it so far with atleast deer hunting acceptable accuracy. My current load is 110 grains of 2F 777 and a 245 grain T/C Mag Express Sabot, winchester 209 primers. At the range it is spit patching after every shot if I use the 777. I am going to give the Black Mag 3 a serious look since there are a couple of dealers in my area.