Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Best load and tips for TC Omega? >

Best load and tips for TC Omega?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best load and tips for TC Omega?

Old 06-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best load and tips for TC Omega?

I'm the proud new owner of a.50cal SS Omega w/ the grey/brown laminate stock. Man is this gun purty!!!

Just wondering what the best load is out of this gun? Powder, bullet, ect? Any tips/tricks to this gun?

This will be my 1st muzzleloader of my own.. I've use my father's Knights in the past. Also what do you guys prefer to use for cleaning them?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best load and tips for TC Omega?

I don't own one but wish I did. Nice rifle without a doubt. You're going to really like that rifle. There are a lot of Omega owners who will share their secret loads... Great shooting rifles!! Good luck with your new rifle and keep us posted of how you like it after you get to the range.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Cayugad - you have my permission to go out and buy an Omega - what's another MZ rifle when you already have 50 of them?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:02 PM

In response to K Bacon, my new Omega seems to like just about everything my Black Diamonds like - I guess they have the same barrel. Try a 250 grain T/C Shockwave ahead of 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets (two fifties and a thirty). This load shoots as good as most centerfire rifles in my Omega and offers 200 yard performance, if you need it. Good luck. Roskoe
Old 06-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I'm going to use for moose this fall,,,, and anything else that happens to show up during the season. i.e. deer or bear
100 gr T7 Pellets, 340 gr Dead Centers (with supplied sabot), 209 Winchester Primers. I'm not worried about expansion on deer or bear. The way I figure it, a 45 cal hole is a big hole regardless of expansion. The 30-30 slug I recovered from a deer last year only expanded to 5/8 of an inch. You put an almost 1/2 inch hole through two lungs in a critter, well it won't be long till it's tenderloins are on the BBQ. They also shoot well in my Omega. (1 inch grid)

The above Dead Center was recovered in a 2x6 behind a 5 gal pail filled with packed "Black Earth" (Garden Stuff), at 25 yds. (20'C is about 68-70' F)

Get a package and try them.

I've tried the 240 gr Nosler Partions, but they wouldn't group for me. I've ordered some 300 gr Nosler Partitons to see how they shoot.

The Hornady XTP's 240 gr worked well and would be a good deer load with 90 gr pyrodex. I couldn't group them with T7 pellets.

You may wish to check out this link as he has some very interesting results. Of note: the DC's didn't shoot well out of his rifles.
http://www.the-gleasons.com/bullets_penetration_tests_for_mu.htm

Get out and do some shooting. Try different bullets and loads. What works for me may not work for you.

In between shots when using T7, I swab two wet patches, a couple of dry untill they come out dry, and then a bore butter patch. I also like to let the barrel cool as much as possible. The way I figure it , it will be a cold barrel that your first hunting shot will come from, so I try to replicate that as much as posssible.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx guys... keep them coming.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Omega is not a fussy creature with 45-cal bullets. You can darn-near dial-in any name-brand45-cal sabot/bullet from 180 grains to 400 grains at 100 yards with any ML powder brand. You may need to switch to Harvester plastic sabots with some that fit too tight/difficult to load.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:24 AM

I was hoping to use 3-777 pellets in my .45 Omega but it isn't nearly as accurate as when using just 2 of them behind Hornady SST 200gr sabots. I can't remember exactly what the velocity loss was by taking out that third pellet but it wasn't as much as I'd thought it would be (around 200-250 fps) if I recall. Fouling the barrel is a must or the first shot is always a flier. I've shot several 1 1/2" four shot groups at 100 yds. The 5th shot always opens the group up to 2" or a little more. That is without any cleaning rod passes. The two deer I've shot with mine have been at a lasered 203 and 212 yards. Both were pass through lung shots with no bullet recovery. I use a 1.5-5 Bushnell Firefly scope.

DD
Old 06-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
I can't remember exactly what the velocity loss was by taking out that third pellet but it wasn't as much as I'd thought it would be (around 200-250 fps) if I recall......
=================================

Normally in your situation,eliminating a single pellet should equate to the 700fps ballpark loss (average). What happened to you is common with most 3-pellet users... especially those with shorter, 22" barrels on their MLs. Only 1/3rd of your 3rd pellet (nearest the muzzle) was at full ignition when the bullet exited the barrel. The other 2/3rds was not at (hypothetical) full combustion yet. The truth is there ishardly everfull powder combustion... even in many situations using loose under 100 grains
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM

KBacon I have been lurkng here learning all I can for a while. I just joined so I can answer your post. I dont know a lot about much but I know a little about the omega.

I have two omegas(and have set many more up forothers that have seen me shoot mine)I have killed 22 deer with these two riflessince t/c came out with them a couple years ago with shots from 35 yds to 162 yds.I like to take a shoulder shot so most deer dropped in their tracks. A few of the longer shots were double lungers and the deer ran a few yards but were easily recovered.

The omega is the easiest mz I have ever set up( I presently own 12 mz and shoot all year long).The omega shoots a variety of 45 cal bullets amazingly well with the proper sabot, bullet and powder combination.

A few of my favorite loads are listed below.
100gr of 777 ffg with the 250 grain shockwave.
100 gr of 777 ffg with the 250 grain 452 xtp andknight high pressure sabot
90 gr of 777 ffg and the deadcenter 220
90 gr of 777 ffg and the deadcenter 240
100 gr of 777 ffg with the ptx and knight high pressure sabot
150 grains of pyro pellets and 250 gr schockwave(this load has a lot of recoil), however, I was shocked at the accuracy of this load and is one of my most accurate.
100 grains of pyro pellets and 250 gr shockwave
100 grains of pyro pellets and 200 gr shockwave

All of these loads will put my first two shots within an inch of each other at 100 yds.

I hunt with a clean barrel but I pop a couple caps before loading the first round to clear the oil and swab after the first shot with a spit patchfollowed with dry patch. I'm only concerned with my first two shots. If I have to fire more than two shots on a hunt something good has happened(two dead deer) or something terribly wrong has happened(I screwed up).

I clean pyrodex with hot soapy water and dry patchs until clean and oil with remoil. 777 I clean with water and dry patch until clean and then oil with remoil. If I have shot a lot I will brush the bore with remington bore cleaner to remove crude and plastic fouling in the bore. I also use the remington bore cleaner and wire brushes to clean my breechplug and oil it real well make sure the fire hole is open.

Make sure and take the barrel and action off regularly to clean what you cant see. It gets crudy theretoo.

Lot of good info can be foundon these sites. I checkthis site and others daily.

Goodluck with theomega and for best performance I recomend notskimping on mounts, rings and scope. I have the weaver style one piece T/C base with knight aluminummounts and leupold vx 3x9x40 on both mine.

iisabigone

Quick Reply: Best load and tips for TC Omega?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.