Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega load

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Spike

Default Omega load

Have a Omega 50 cal. (ss hardwoods) and would like some ideas on some loads, the ones I have tried are not all that great. Been shooting Pyrodex powder 150 gr with Powerbelts 295 gr and win 209's. Then dropped down to 100 gr of Pyrodex and did see some improvement. When I first got this gun I tried some TC Mag 240 gr sabots with 150 powder but didn't like what they did for me either. Thought about trying some Shockwaves. I do want to stay with powder pellets though. I know there are alot of you Omega shooters out there so any suggestions(I know all guns shoot different)? Thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega load

Powerbelts and Mag Sabots (when 44-cal bullets are shipped)are poor performers with 150 grains.Try the 45/50 Shockwaves, Harvester Mag Scorpions, 45/50 300 gr. XTPs, Speer Gold Dotsor Barnes Expanders(purchased in bulk) with Harvester plastic sabots plus375 gr. Buffalo Sabots. These are all proven bullets that do well in most-all Omegas.

I'm going to assume you cleaned your new bore with something stronger than a blackpowder cleaner/solvent - using a bore brush instead of a jag. Otherwise, even though the patches may come out white & clean, there still may be trapped packing crud in your bore's rifling. A good gun solvent like Shooters, Butch's Bore Shine or Birchwood-Casey 2 In 1 Bore Scrubberwill get that bore clean & shooting better.A good way to prepare your new ML rifling at the range- to ensure no burrs exist in there, is to shoot a box or two offull-fledged conicals first - before trying any plastic sabots. Plastic sabots cannot remove those burrs. Some conical names are Hornady Great Plains, Maxiballs, Maxihunters, Buffalo Ballets... etc.

Doing this should get you back to shooting well. That gun was designed to shoot 150 gr. Pyrodex loads well. It shoots 120-130 loads even better sometimes - so perhaps think about including some 30-grain pellets in your accuracy chase.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Shock Waves, XTP and Gold Dots are best in Most TC's especally the Omegas and System one 50 cal. The 120 or 130 gr loads both in pellet [Pyrodex] and loose will shoot tight groups in mine.There are a lot of people who like the Nosler or Barns.Lee
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

bdlder

Lee really kinda got right at the thing - the Omega will shoot just about every sabot and bullet well. I have shot a large variety of bullets from it. My whitetail load is 100 grains of t7-2f/MMP HPH-24 Sabot/Nosler Partition .451 260 grain HP bullet. BUT - these bullets have sky rocketed in price -so my next choice will be a Speer Gold Dot either 250 grain or 300 grain .452 - excellent bullets.

The big thing which you may already know - Most Omegas have very tight barrels and you will have to pick a sabot that works well and easy in your barrel. Most Hornady sabot bullet combinations will come with the HPH-12 sabot which will be to thick for the Omega.

Hope you find what what works well for you...