Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buffalo Ball-et vs. Powerbelt >

Buffalo Ball-et vs. Powerbelt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buffalo Ball-et vs. Powerbelt

Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buffalo Ball-et vs. Powerbelt

I like to shoot Powerbelt 295gr Hp out of my flint. At .75 a pop that can get expensive, or worse, you limit your fun at the range. I was told recently of the buffalo Ball-et and was wondering about POI differences in shooting a 295gr projectile vs. a 270gr. Has anyone used these two interchangeably at all out of a 1:48 twist? I would like to use the PB for hunting and the ball-et for target plinking practice and fun. The ball-et by the way is $.16 a pop. Saving almost $.60 a shot would have me shooting the rifling out of my bore in no time, and isn't that what life is all about?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buffalo Ball-et vs. Powerbelt

i always wondered myself about the ball-et. you could buy a mold and make your own maxi balls or look on ebay. there are a couple guys on there that sell maxi balls pretty cheap. if you really need to use sabots check into buying the xtp 240 or 300 grain pistol bullets from hornady and the plastic sabots seperatley. i think you can save a bunch of cash by just doing that.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 PM

I don't know if you would save anything by buying them seperate, but Hornady is about the most cost effective you can go with a sabot. Around $9 a box of 20 I think, with the sabots. I would do some research and see what loads work best with that rifleling. I think a 1:48 twist favors a slower bullet compared to the newer 1:28 twist guns, thats why they shoot so well at higher volecities. Heck high powered rifles have like 1:9 twist rates for really fast bullets.

I will do a little research. I was reading some stuff on it a while ago, I just need to find it again.

Paul
Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ball-ets are at Walmart for $7.89 for a box of 50. To clarify, would I get similar POI or would it be WAY off? I was wondering out loud, that's all. Cayugad is gonna try them when he gets his gun, which is the same gun I have. He shoots alot more than I so he is gonna let me know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shot maxihunters......350gr and shot a 295powerbelt just to see where they hit......only maybe....3 inches high tops....thats at about 65yds too......thats not bad......thats a 55gr diffrence......i know if i was in a pinch i could use one to hunt......i carry them both......my main loads are with the maxis.....but if i need more bullets i got the powerbelts.......just incase.......i carry so much useless stuff in my possibles bag its not funny.....if i go through that much flint....leather.....powder....bullets..alchy patches...dry pathes.....or any of the other things i carry wayyyyyyyyy to much of in a day i should quit......or i killed 15 deer.......i just like to be prepared.....never know.......
Old 10-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF YOU GO TO NATCHEZ SHOOTERS.COM YOU CAN PUT TOGETHER YOUR OWN SABOTS PRETTY CHEAP. THE BLACK PLASTIC SABOTS THAT ARE FOR 50 CAL USE 44 MAG. BULLETS . A PACK OF 50 SABOTS ARE 4.68$ AND A BOX OF 100 HORNADY XTP 240 GRAIN BULLETS ARE 14.32$ SO FOR LESS THAN 25$ YOU GET 100 ROUNDS IF THEY SHOOT WELL IN YOUR GUN. THEY DIDNT WORK IN MY 1 IN 48 TWIST. I WOULD STICK TO GOOD OLE BIG LEAD LIKE THE MAXI BALLS . LET US KNOW HOW THE BALL-ETS WORK OUT.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you have a 1-48" twist, so why not just load up some .490 round balls and some .015 lubed T/C patches and 50 grains of powder. Lets see, that comes to $14.00 for a pound of Pyrodex RS, or $.10 per shot, then the bullets (Hornady) are $9.00 a box of 100, or $.09 each, then the lubed patches at $5.00 per 100 or $.05 each, and the primers at $.02 each comes to $.26 per shot, about as cheap as you can get, and my gun (CVA Bobcat) will put 3 shots into one big cluster at 25 yds, which would make for fun prairie dog shooting if you got good. You would also be able to adjust your powder charge to match what you are getting with your powerbelts.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine uses the ball-et, it'll shoot minute of deer out of his. He doesn't shoot much and is happy with it. He could probably get it to shoot better, but working up loads don't interest him that much when it comes to his muzzleloader. I use the 325gr. REAL bullet out of mine to deer hunt. It's a go-getter, all it cost is a little time because I mold my own and my lead is free.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:21 PM

Hey charlie brown Thanks man I just bought a CVA Bobcat and was thinkin about going with the round ball now I know I will. Thanks Man