Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking at CVAs.   Just starting out >

Looking at CVAs. Just starting out

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking at CVAs. Just starting out

Old 09-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Looking at CVAs. Just starting out

I am looking at the CVA HunterBolt 209 Magnum and CVA Buckhorn 209 Magnum Rifle. Wondering on reliability and also if you can you powdered discs with these. I don't want to use powder. I am looking to get a loader for under $200. PLease let me know what you guys think. Thanks a ton.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking at CVAs. Just starting out

That hunterbolt should do you good. Id like to have a firebolt in 45 myself. Not sure what you mean by powdered discs though.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 PM

My bad I meant pellets. I want to be abel to shoot with pellets I think.[&:] Whats the difference between the CVA HunterBolt 209 Magnum and CVA Buckhorn 209 Magnum Rifle. Reading up on them I couldn't find much difference other than price point.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:13 AM

I have a CVA Firebolt 50 cal and love the gun. It shoots pellets or loose powder very well and I've been using the powerbelts as well, 295 grain. If you do get one, buy one without the scope and get a Bushnell dusk to dawn since the Pine Ridge scope that comes with it is garbage.

Good luck....

Tom
Old 09-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you desire a CVA & only want to spend $200, this rifle below gives you the most bang for your buck. Click on Conneticut Valley Arms... then on either product #U335555 to purchase the 50-cal or U33551 to purchase the 45. I've made several buys with this company. They provide good service. First I'll give you a pictured rifle link to view the rifle very similar to the Winchester Apex... then the best place that I found to purchase it. Do not get nervous over CVA's "suggested" retail price.... the purchase place below that link sells it for only $203

CVA Kodiak pivot/action magnum

Ultimate Outdoors (ultout.com)
Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

The Buckhorn 209 Magnum replaced the Staghorn 209 Magnum in CVA's entry level rifles. There is nothing wrong with the Buckhorn. I have a Staghorn and it is a great shooting rifle. Get the .50 caliber. Although a lot of posters like the .45 calibers, I avoid them. There is nothing a .45 caliber can do that a .50 caliber can not match. There is a lot of things a .50 caliber can do in the line of bullet selection that a .45 caliber can not come close to. Especially when you get into some of the heavy conicals and sabots.

Again, nothing wrong with CVA but you might want to go to Bass Pro Shop and take a look at the H&R Sidekick. It is a break open design which makes it easier to clean and load. Also I have read some excellent reports on them as far as accuracy. They are a well known rifle and company. I personally have never shot one, but have shouldered a few and thought their balance was excellent....

Also before you buy, get to a store and handle some of these choices if at all possible. It is hard to tell which rifle will fit you best and be most comfortable for you unless you handle and shoulder some of them. There are differences in stock length and drop from model to model in some cases and all of this makes a difference in shooter comfort and ability to hold steady....
Old 09-16-2004, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys for the feed back. Gets me closer to choosing.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Hunterbolt Magnum, its a pretty good muzzleloader for the money. I have only used it a few times, i plan on getting serious on muzzleoading this year. I shoot 100 grains of pyrodex pellets with a 295 gr powerbelt . I am going to try the triple 7 pellets this year. Most of my friends that see my CVA cant believe all the features i got for under 200 dollars.