Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rookie Muzzleloader question-frustrated !! >

Rookie Muzzleloader question-frustrated !!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rookie Muzzleloader question-frustrated !!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 PM

Default RE: Rookie Muzzleloader question-frustrated !!

I have not had exactly the same problem that you have. Triple 7, cayugad, and the others have given you some good advice and things to do at the range. Livbucks has been experiencing what we all do when shooting blackpowder, crud on the breech plug or touch hole. This happens frequently when shooting black powder or Triple 7. When deer hunting, you will only be shooting a few shots so it's only a problem at the range. After about 6 tp 10 shots at the range, you have to make sure your cleaning patches are reaching the breech plug and helping to remove some of this before cleaning.

Good luck....

Tom
Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM

Do all of U guys take your breech plugs out when cleaning between shots or do you leave it in ? I have found that when I leave the breech plug in that the crud clogs the breech plug itself and it won't clear even if I shot a cap through it by itself after cleaning.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I swab between every shot. I never take the breech plug out unless I am going to clean the rifle. I do loosen it from time to time. I shoot Goex and have never had a misfire yet...
Old 09-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen it mention once here already, but it cannot be stressed enough. The bullet must be seated on the powder charge. If not, you are basically shooting a gun with an obstructed barrel.

I'm sure you probably already knew that, but anybody new to the world of muzzleloading must realize this rule is right there at the top of the list.

C. Davis