Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rookie question

Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Rookie question

This is only my second year so please have patience..I've found a really neat site to perfect my calling .
My question..
How much should I call? What kind of intervals? How long do you guys stay at one spot before you give up?
Thanks,c7

Old 03-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rookie question

More is usually less when it comes to calling turkeys. It really depends on the birds you are hunting and what they want and how they respond.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Buckrogers is right on the money. Every bird is different and will respond in different ways. You will have to play it by ear.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

I agree you have to play it by ear. I do love being aggressive with my calling. Especially if I can get a gobbler to answer quickly. Heres one rule to remember. If your calling and the tom cuts you off gobblingwith double and triple gobbles be ready he's coming. But then again if your not hearing any gobbling, I usually call once or twice every 10 to 15 minutes. And Im constantly listening for leaves rattling or sticks breaking, giving me an indication something is coming. Remember they can give you the old sneak attack from behind you. My last bird I took last year gave me the old sneak attack and came in from behind. He didnt gobble once and and I heard him coming. Remember not to move when you hear him. I finally saw the bird at 10 yards and shot him at 3 yards. He never knew I was there. Always have patience and have your gun ready.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

"I usually call once or twice every 10 to 15 minutes."

Thanks everyone..appreciate it.
c7
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

remember you can always get more aggresive with your calling,start out conservitive.the experts call it taking the birds temp.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Set your pace to the tom's pace. If he gobbles 2-3 time to your single call, step up your calling a bit. If he only gobbles once to every 2-3 time you call, then slow down a bit. If he gobbles once to every one of your calls then you are in the groove. It doesn't matter if you are calling every 5 minutes or every 15 minutes. Now that you have him tuned in, is he getting closer? If not I suggest you move if you can. Some times it's best to move away from the tom or to the side. Almost every time I move closer, it doesn't work out unless I was 100 yards or more away.

The turkeys will educate you! You just have to pay attention! Just like in school!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen...I'm really excited . I watched the Primos DVD last year. They would walk along using their call and yelp.When one would answer back they would set up..

I tried that last year in a heavily hunted WMA .{ My firstyear hunting turkey}I walked about 1 mile down into the swamp.I was on an enbankment. I was standing up and got out my Primos "The Freak" out.I gave a few yelps. I use the Primos cutter striker with it.Very nice . I couldn't believe it.Within 1 minute .a tom came running right for me. He saw me of course and turned ..and flat out vanished. Walking back out I flushed 3 more roosting.

Lesson learnbed..don't call till your set up. I've drew an early quota hunt this year so I will be there this Sat. I live in the city so I haven't even shot my new 870 Rem. yet. I'm not sure what my Tru Glo choke will do so I put in the reg. full choke tube. I bought Winchester Supreme 4 1/2 shot. I also bought some wrap around camo blind stuff this time.

Thank you all very much,
C7
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont think I can any more than what is said. Each Tom is different. As they say on the videos, got to take their temperature and take it from there.

Good luck and good shooting! [8D]
Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

I will add just a little bit more... As everyone stated let what you hear dictate how you call! Also if the tom seems to hang up or is answering you but just won't commit to come in and if moving is not an option( like if you don't know exactly were he is and don't want to get busted) try not calling for quite a few minutes. 10 to 15 is a good number. Give him the illusion that the hen isn't interested anymore or that a tom has invaded his space. If he is the dominant tom, he won't stand for that and it may cause him to come in to investigate. Or you may try to vary the volume of your calls. If you are using a diaphram call, try cupping your mouth to lower the volume... so that it appears you are moving away.
As far as your question about moving, I think it depends on what type and size of land you are hunting! If you are on private land, you probably have more options. As far as time goes, thats also up to you and what you want out of your trip! And it also depends on how much time you have? If you have all day, take all day and just enjoy it! JUST REMEMBER, the next spot isn't always the best spot!!! Good Luck and Safe Hunting!!!

Quick Reply: Rookie question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.