Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First time flinting yesterday I'm Hooked >

First time flinting yesterday I'm Hooked

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First time flinting yesterday I'm Hooked

Old 08-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default First time flinting yesterday I'm Hooked

Tried out the Traditions Trapper 50 cal flintlock pistol yesterday. What a rush especially the first shot. That was the first time I ever shot any flintlock. All went well!!! Thanks to all the help on this tread. As you would guess I am now hooked on flinting. Oh boy I will probably get a divorce since I need some more smoke poles now. Seems a Hawken flintlock comes to mind.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time flinting yesterday I'm Hooked

Good Goin Buddy!
The excitement of that first shot will be a permanent memory now. Didn't you love the uncertainty of not knowing what was going to happen? I know I did. It was like bungy jumping kinda, Huh? Well, congrats.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Phil,

That's great! It wasn't that hard now was it? I really like shooting the rifles but a pistol should be neat also.

Anyway, keep up the shooting. I am probably hitting the range tomorrow evening to resight in my flint and to improve the inline as well. That is, if it does not rain.

Tom
Old 08-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

[&o] My lock and frizzen are at Thompson Center Arms being updated for free.... I called them and was discussing with the technicians how to make the ignition as dependable as possible. We talked about the lock and frizzen and he said that is the old style. That might be the problem, send that to us and we will replace the frizzen and hammer and anything else that is needed for free....

Now that is what I call customer service.....

So once it gets back I will be shooting again. In the mean time I have been looking way too much at that Traditions PA Pellet.. ..

Glad to hear your pistol is shooting well. They sure are fun. Years ago I had a .45 caliber Jukar pistol. It went off fine, just the accuracy was nothing to write home about, so I sold it.... A flint pistol would sure be fun to shoot....let us know how accurate they are....
Old 08-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

At 15 yards the Trapper was about a 5" pattern and we weren't really trying for accuracy, just fun shooting. A few friends from Jersey came up and we dumped a few hundred rounds between the flinter, model 70 270, 22mag, and a 44 spl pistol.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend to me.... out pushing lead with friends.. Glad your enjoying the pistol. How dependable has the lock assemble been in reguards to ignition?