Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My son may be hooked. >

My son may be hooked.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My son may be hooked.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My son may be hooked.

Last week I finally made it out to the range with my 12 year old son and his new Optima 50. He already has a Bobcat that I got for him to learn the basics with but now he wanted something with a little more cappability to it for his birthday. His birthday isn't for a few more months but I came across a deal and went ahead and bought it for him. He really likes the break action and stock configuration on the Optima.

It looks like both are going to be shooters. I started him off on 80gr of 777 and a 250 Shockwave. after a couple of sighters and adjustments, he shot a 3 shot group of just over 1" at 25 yards using the stock open sights. I thought that waspretty good for a 12 year old shooting a new gun for the first time.

He told me next time he wants to shoot at 50 yards. He can't wait to go again. So does that mean I've created a monster?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My son may be hooked.

dmurphy317

It is infectious! my infection has move from infectious to a full blown "PLAGUE." Anyway according to my wife...

Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of all the things to hook him on, you picked a good 'un! But yes, you probably have.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM

"...he shot a 3 shot group of just over 1" at 25 yards using the stock open sights. I thought that waspretty good for a 12 year old shooting a new gun for the first time."

Heck, that's pretty good for a 40 yr old guy whose been hunting for 25 yrs...that's me!!!!

Enjoy these special times with your son. Keep us posted.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some excellent shooting on your son's part. You can tell him that he can shoot with the best of them shooting that good. Also the load he picked out is a good all around load. Sounds like the rifle is a good shooter and so is your son..

Although he might have the black powder bug, there are a lot of things out there far worse that he could be addicted to. Tell him good shooting...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM

Yep you've gone and done it, he will shoot up
all the powder and all the bullets. Then you
turn around he will want the car keys too
Nice shooting the time spent with your kids
well thats "PRICELESS".
Danny
Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is turning out to be a good shot. He has probably shot up a 500 round box or 2 of 22's through my old Remington with iron sights. He likes to shoot at leftover clay targets he finds at the range, that way he knows imediately when he hits it. He does seem to have the bug.

My 15 year old has it to some extent, but not like the younger one. He seems to of lost some of it after this past deer season when he missed the first deer he's ever shot at. It wasn't so much his fault though. My brother had put him in the same spot I had shot a deer a few days earlier. The deer I shot was at 325 yards with a 7mm. The one my son shot atwas about the same distance but with a gun he was not use to. He had never shot beyond about 150 yards either so it was the wrong place for him to be sitting. I have him in the drawing for a youth ML'er elk hunt this year so I hope that will bring him back around.

I hope everyone has a great day and thanks for the replies.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing like spending a day with one of your kids !!!!!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzleloader%20Hunting/?action=view&current=DSCN0302.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/?action=view&current=DSCN1394.flv