Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 Cal Green Mountain LRH (Jacketed Sabotless Test) >

.45 Cal Green Mountain LRH (Jacketed Sabotless Test)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Cal Green Mountain LRH (Jacketed Sabotless Test)

Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH (Jacketed Sabotless Test)

Been wanting to try these for awhile, i wanted the 250s but they weren’t available on the Shelf and i was impatient about ordering them, So i went with the little 200s and decided to put them through my 1:30 Twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel in a TC Hawken Stock, I have shot the DAYLIGHTS out of this Barrel, She’s been very good to me Today’s performance was definitely not it’s Best, But you can see the Potential in this Combo, This is the VERY FIRST time out with this Bullet, Powder Charge, Wad type etc. ZERO Load development, I picked this in my head and went with it. When you have Shot these things as much as i have, you have a pretty good idea what’s gonna work, and what probably won’t

It is an Odd Group? 2 in the Same hole on the bottom, and 2 in the Same on Top, I had to of slightly changed my Sight picture somehow, This was Shooting over the Hood of My Truck, FAR from ideal conditions.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Still not bad for such a small bullet. I’m sure if you tweaked the load a little you may be able to improve the grouping. But like you said that load would do just fine for deer hunting.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Still not bad for such a small bullet. I’m sure if you tweaked the load a little you may be able to improve the grouping. But like you said that load would do just fine for deer hunting.
I have no doubt I could shoot this Bullet in a Ragged Hole from my Bench where i am ROCK SOLID. This would make a DEADLY Bullet for Deer. and with it being just 200 Grains it is a PURE Pleasure to Shoot, Recoil is VERY Mild. Great Bullet for Recoil Sensitive Folks, Women, and Youth. I am looking forward to playing with the 250s, Their designation is the .450 Bushmaster. The little 200s i just Shot this morning are geared toward the .454 Casull, .460 S&W
Old 09-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not bad at all Lewis. I don't know if I missed it but I didn't hear the yardage on that shoot?
You're killing me Lewis! I have all those pp bullets to shoot and now you come up with this. I realized I have a box of Sierra Sports Master bullets that are 300 gr and have a dia of .4515". I guess I'll be adding them to the shooting box to shoot with the poly wads you sent me!
With everything I have to shoot I just told my wife I'll likely be gone the entire day when I do go. I'll have to pack a lunch!

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Not bad at all Lewis. I don't know if I missed it but I didn't hear the yardage on that shoot?
You're killing me Lewis! I have all those pp bullets to shoot and now you come up with this. I realized I have a box of Sierra Sports Master bullets that are 300 gr and have a dia of .4515". I guess I'll be adding them to the shooting box to shoot with the poly wads you sent me!
With everything I have to shoot I just told my wife I'll likely be gone the entire day when I do go. I'll have to pack a lunch!
LOL!! True, VERY TRUE! I’ve said all along that i need a Utility Trailer to pull behind me It takes a LOT of gear to do this Stuff. I skipped out on the Front Rest, and Heavy Leather Rear Bag, This is why i shot over my Hood This morning. My Front and Rear Rest Setup weighs about 40-45 Pounds

Yardage would be about 80 here, Or there really close abouts. This is my usual Spot for Quick Bullet testing, it’s the Closest to home, and most convenient. If I Stretch across Corner to Corner i can get 100 Yards here, probably a little better, But that puts me out on the Edge of a Main traveled Gravel Rd. Hunting Season is CLOSE, I won’t be able to get in the Mountains soon, at least to Shoot like i do, To many people.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot those Sierras today (see my thread). They came from the factory at .4515" and they just fell down the bore. I got similar results as you as far as total group size (about 1 5/8"). But I think I'm going to try some .452" diameter bullets next time out. I believe .0005" won't make that big of a difference and may provide a bit more resistance.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I shot those Sierras today (see my thread). They came from the factory at .4515" and they just fell down the bore. I got similar results as you as far as total group size (about 1 5/8"). But I think I'm going to try some .452" diameter bullets next time out. I believe .0005" won't make that big of a difference and may provide a bit more resistance.
I shoot a lot of Jacketed Sabotless that load like that (go down with no resistance) For target I don’t mind that a bit, That is how i want them with Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelocks. I have had really good luck with Bullets that Load like that. But if I planned to hunt with one of these bullets I would need to Knurl them Between 2 Mill Files like Mike (Sabotloader) Shows in several Posts, This Creates “Lift” and the Bullet will Grab the Bore, I have tinkered with this VERY little, It is easy to Do, and doesn’t take a Lot to be effective.

I am curious how a .452 Loads in your Barrel? I have a Few Bullets I would like to see you try in your Barrel. Out of my 4 Fast Twist .45s that are Complete Rifles, i have 2 with Tighter Bores, My Rice 1:20 Twist is .449.5-.450, and my Green Mountain LRH is .451, With my other 2 being larger Bored at .452, My Knight Mountaineer, and Green Mountain 32” 1:18 Twist that i got from Ron.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis

I shoot a lot of Jacketed Sabotless that load like that (go down with no resistance) For target I don’t mind that a bit, That is how i want them with Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelocks. I have had really good luck with Bullets that Load like that. But if I planned to hunt with one of these bullets I would need to Knurl them Between 2 Mill Files like Mike (Sabotloader) Shows in several Posts, This Creates “Lift” and the Bullet will Grab the Bore, I have tinkered with this VERY little, It is easy to Do, and doesn’t take a Lot to be effective.

I am curious how a .452 Loads in your Barrel? I have a Few Bullets I would like to see you try in your Barrel. Out of my 4 Fast Twist .45s that are Complete Rifles, i have 2 with Tighter Bores, My Rice 1:20 Twist is .449.5-.450, and my Green Mountain LRH is .451, With my other 2 being larger Bored at .452, My Knight Mountaineer, and Green Mountain 32” 1:18 Twist that i got from Ron.
Lewis I'm not exactly sure those Sierra were labeled correctly! I used my Starrett Calipers and got .450" and checked them with my micrometer and got just over .450" also. I believe the actual dia is .4505" and not .4515". I have a box load of T/C Shockwave bullets that mic .452" and they would not start into the bore with finger pressure. I ran one through my Lee .451" sizer die and it feels just right dragging across the lands. So I sized a few more and will take them out the next go around along with some 350 gr cast bullets also .451".