Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Bighorn Globe Front Sight (Another Way to Do it) >

Knight Bighorn Globe Front Sight (Another Way to Do it)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Bighorn Globe Front Sight (Another Way to Do it)

Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Knight Bighorn Globe Front Sight (Another Way to Do it)

First off, these are NOT my pics, I found this on another forum, I REALLY liked it! So this is what i went off of for my Friend’s Knight Bighorn. I had my Gunsmith Friend just up the Road from me Mill the Bottom off, and Contour the Bottom of the Lyman Globe with a Ball Mill so that it Sits perfectly on the Bighorn Barrel. I have used the MK-85 Front Sight base in the Past and drifted a Globe in place, It works, but is BULKY/GALKY, Hangs out the Sides, Stands to Tall, If you go that Route you Really need a Shim under the Williams FP Legend Peep To Compensate for the HIGH Front Globe Height. Using the MK-85 Front Sight base is Just not a great Setup In my opinion. I feel this to be FAR Superior. ROCK SOLID, and CLEAN, it looks like it’s meant to be there

Like i said These are NOT my Pics, But is where i got the idea from. I wish i had taken pics of my own yesterday when Putting his Rifle together. My friend’s looks just like this, Minus 1 Hole. After the Lyman Globe is Shaped/Contoured to Sit on top of the Barrel, 1 Screw is really all that is needed, Just use the Existing Front Sight Hole. I can NOT Budge my Friends, It is ROCK Solid. Another BONUS to this Setup is it ads some Light Through the Top of the Globe.

This Guy went with 2 Holes/Screws, But is really not needed, When Contoured like this, 1 Screw holds the Globe SOILD

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09-10-2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Great idea! Now to find a Green fiber optic sight for the Globe sights.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Great idea! Now to find a Green fiber optic sight for the Globe sights.
Like this With the Hole/Holes in the Top of the Lyman Globe it will allow Light in which is Required for Fiber optic to do it’s thing. Allowing some light in will make the Fiber optic pin nice n Bright.

A friend of mine is playing around with ideas

Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Let me know where you can get them if they are in production.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder if you can just buy the fiber optic and set them into your own globe? I don't think you'd even need the length, just a small section.
This reminds me. Yesterday when I was shooting my .45 I had the post insert in the front sight which I like for hunting. I switched it out this morning for the next shoot and put the crosshair/circle in. That should give me a more consistent sight picture.
I/m going to take a peek at my inserts and rummage through my archery box to see if I have any fiber optics that will fit.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I wonder if you can just buy the fiber optic and set them into your own globe? I don't think you'd even need the length, just a small section.
This reminds me. Yesterday when I was shooting my .45 I had the post insert in the front sight which I like for hunting. I switched it out this morning for the next shoot and put the crosshair/circle in. That should give me a more consistent sight picture.
I/m going to take a peek at my inserts and rummage through my archery box to see if I have any fiber optics that will fit.
Fiber optic Sight material has come a LONG way over the years, Back when i first remember seeing it in Archery Sights it was kinda Brittle, it was easy to Break it. The last Archery Sight I bought was a 5 pin, i prefer 4 Pins for Hunting (20, 40, 60, and 80 Yards) I removed 1 of the Pins with Fiber Otic Wrap, I was rough on it removing it but it didn’t break, When i got it out I decided to Test it’s Durability, i tried every way possible to break it and I couldn’t? It was some REALLY tough Stuff, VERY Different than the Old Stuff I remember. I have looked for that Darn pin with Wrap and I cannot Find it, no telling where i put it? I have several Lost forever Compartments Around here TRUE! This would be the PERFECT Size for a really fine Bead, these pins are tiny, like .015
Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looking at my Globe sight there is only one way I could put a fiber optic sight on. I have a Pedersoli sight where the inserts slip into a narrow slot about mid-globe and the lock nut on the end holds it in place. I would have to put in the insert then run the fiber through the sight and try to get it into the insert! Then the only way to get it out would be to push it back out to change the insert.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../2/FS-SHARPS-1
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Spike

Looking good!