Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Williams Peep sight >

Williams Peep sight

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Williams Peep sight

Old 08-13-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Williams Peep sight

Has anyone used these rear sights? I removed my original " plastic" rear sight and shot last evening for the first time with the peep. I used the original (stock) screw in aperture and also purchased a larger diameter (I.D.) with the brass ring for low light, although have not shot with it installed yet.

Any thoughts/comments on these? So far, I really like it, but am slightly concerned with the lower light conditions, although I have had someone tell me that they have basically removed the screw in insert and used it wide open?

Anyway, I' m kind of rambling here, but just curious on other people' s thoughts...if any.

Thanx,
Old 08-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Williams Peep sight

I have used the Willaims Foolproof sights. They are excellent, as are their scope mounts!!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted with a Peep Sight for many years although mine is a T/C and it is on my T/C Renegade. The only draw back to them I can see is in low light conditions. Where I hunt, shadows come in quick in the early evening, and it makes it hard to find the front site in the back peep. I had the front sight drilled and filled with white glow in the dark paint and that helped a lot. When you have a good sight picture, they are fantastic. Mine is real accurate and I have the hunting model.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

When I was given my Renegade by a friend, it already had the Williams Peep installed. I don' t have any of the inserts, and really like the quick target aquisition the open peep sight allows. Like was already said though, shadows can be problematic in finding the rear sight and centering it around the front bead. I find it better than the standard blade rear sight when shooting during daylight hours, and hear the inserts make target shooting a lot easier. I' ve shot with mine enough now that I naturally center the front and rear sights. Spend some time getting use to it before hunting with it, and I think you' ll like it. I' ve been a bowhunter exclusively for the past 3 years, and am just getting back into shooting my Renegade for the upcoming elk season here in WA. The theory used by many bow sight manufacturers is that the brain naturally centers a round sight on the target. It seems to be true for me with the Williams sight anyway. I do take an extra second to locate the front bead, get it centered in the rear peep, then immediately switch back to focus on the target. Works great for me.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

I put a Williams peep on my 700 Rem with a HyViss front sight in green it works great. The sight used the back scope mount holes so was easy to mount,but had to use a 1/16 inch shim under the mount to get my bullet up to hit the bulls eye at 100yds. Zeak