Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Williams WRGS PEEP Sight for CVA round barrels >

Williams WRGS PEEP Sight for CVA round barrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Williams WRGS PEEP Sight for CVA round barrels

Old 11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Williams WRGS PEEP Sight for CVA round barrels

I just installed these to my inline rifles yesterday. They have two mount screws so that can be installed further towards the breech in the scope mount holes. Williams makes several in the WRGS model to fit different models and manufacturers. I got the CVA round barrels which fit my Apex and my Kodiak Pro.

For the globe sight I installed a Pedersoli Globe Sight on a Williams "1/8" Shotgun Shorty Ramp". This puts the line of sight about 7/8" above the muzzle bore-line.

The WRGS comes with a .09 in. aperture (I think). I first installed the peep on the furthest back pair of scope mount holes. But at this distance the whole globe (and then some) filled the field of view. So the .05 may be a better choice for the rear mounts. I resorted to using the next pair of holes and drilling the aperture to .125. This was a very acceptable aperture although there is some free view within the globe which is not viewable at that aperture. I also drilled the other aperture to 5/32". 5/32 was just a little too large and so the .150 aperture is probably close to ideal.

One of the first things I noticed on when it was first installed close to the breech was that when looking through the aperture ... both the globe and objects I saw through it seem smaller than when looking directly at them (not through the aperture) There is no glass in the system and one would not expect magnification ... of course ... but making things appear smaller came as a surprise. My hunch is that the sighting system has a focal length which minuturizes the field of view in combination with ones eyes. This effect seems to be more noticable the smaller the aperture is.

In this rear position I removed the aperture (sight was then kind of like a ghost sight) and and looked through and noticed everything looked life size. But in the rear position without the aperture, the hole was just too big. What I learned is that a larger aperture helps gather more light and provide an image which is larger to my eye.

From the front position, one could remove the aperature and a very wide view is present. The only draw back is that most of the globe's ring is visible through the ghost ring. Because the globe's out wall is visible the crosshairs always look centered. So one must concentrate some to ensure that globe is indeed centered in the ring. A ghost sight with a contrasting ring would help I think. (like especially a sleeve of fiberoptic green for contrast one doesn't have to concetrate on ... for the entreprenureal types out there ...) Even so, I think I could easily sight within a 2.5" miss at 100 yards with out much effort without the aperture in place. So in pinch, in low light and for shots less than 80 yards I think it would be a very reliable ghost sight.

Was getting late and I decided to see if I could do a little initial sighting on the Kodiak Pro. I will be taking both inlines to OK over Christmas and plan to hunt both squirrels and deer with one of my friends and hopefully my Dad as well. In any event I like to shoot cheap loads in the initial sighting to get the windage lined out. I chose PRB with 40 grains 3f Goex which I plan to use for a squirrel load. I calculated the muzzle velocity and worked out a trajectory. First cross at 15 yards would give a very flat trajectory with +/- 3/8" to about 48 yards.

I worked as quickly as I could as I was running out of light and hoped to squeeze in a little rabbit hunting. I set the target at 15 yards (first cross distance) and shot two shots. They were and 1'5" low/left from the bull but I could barely make out the second print as it was almost on top of the other. Couldn't have been more than 1/16" off center to center. So on the high end the pointing was at least as good as 3/4 MOA. I then began adjusting windage and elevation with one-shot groups. In 4 more shots I got one to print right in the bullseye. Running out of light ... I loaded up and hurried to a trail I like to rabbit hunt. Loaded and in about 50 yards of walking I spotted a rabbit under a cedar about 20 yards away. Off hand I put the crosshairs on the head and fired and took most of its head off.

Its as close to a scope as I figure one can get with iron sights. Got a lot more I want to check out with this sighting arangement. Particularly the Ghost arangement and my pointing inaccuracy with it. I think there will be time in lower light where removing the aperture would benefit. In any event, I really like the sights so far and will follow up from time to time as I find out more.

A pick of the installed sights can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/5b6ejg
Old 11-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Williams WRGS PEEP Sight for CVA round barrels

Good report Pglasgow. I have a homemade forward peep like that on my .58 Zouave, with a post front sight. I find it works quite well also.