Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Load For Colorado? >

Traditions Load For Colorado?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Load For Colorado?

Old 08-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Spike

Default Traditions Load For Colorado?

I was wondering about a " good load" for my new Traditions Eveloution Premier. I started out with a .410 grain Buffalo bullet with 120 grains of triple seven. Well,,,,,,, that didn' t work so good. I shot about a 12" group at 35 yards. I should say that I' m a PA flintlock guy going on his first trip to Colorado for elk next month. I' ve hunted for 30 years, but never with an inline. I called Traditions, and the rep told me that gun was built with sabots in mind, that' s great for me. I also called Powerbelt, and they suggested something around a 90 grain charge with a .444 grain flat point bullet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default RE: Traditions Load For Colorado?

Sorry, I forgot the caliber. 50
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM

Hale...I shoot a .50 caliber Traditions in-line and will also be in Colorado next month chasing elk and mulies. My buddies and I have been plunking quite a bit lately. A very good load is " about" 100gr of 777, 2F with a 348 gr. Aero tip Powerbelt. I am certainly no expert, but was told be the Hogdon rep and another indvidual who has downed several elk with this load, that this is a very reliable and frequently used combination. The " about" part is firearm dependant....90 - 110 seems to be the sweet spot. Too much of a charge and the bullets start to get a little out of line.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Were you cleaning between every few shots,because that can effect the bullet somewhat.Is this the first outing because the barrel may need a little seasoning before the accuracy is there.Try a smaller load, of say 90 gr bp and a 245gr bullet and clean the barrel every shot.My experiance is that once the barrel is broken in you will see a change in performance.Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Spike

W&M' s, you sound a lot like the Powebelt guy. When I get my rifle back I' m going to try that. I failed to tell you in the first post the other troubles I encountered. With my first shot, the recoil chipped off a piece of the laminated stock. Then when I went to clean it, I was unable to get the breech plug out. I had disassembled it when I first purchased it. I felt it had an adequate amount of anti seize on it, and didn' t add any to it before replacing it. Guess I was wrong. My brother had done the same thing and he didn' t have the problems that I encountered. Before everyone starts to think I' m a real dope, they should know that I started back in probably Feb. trying to buy my firearm so I could practice all summer long. Well,,,,,,,, my buddy, the Traditions rep in the area told me to wait until this new model came out. I remember when he told me " Dean, don' t worry you' ve been hunting your entire life, this isn' t going to be a concern." Yeah right. When I purchased my 300 win mag a number of years ago for a trip to BC moose hunting. I practiced multiple times a week, six months in advance at long range shooting. Trac209, yes I was cleaning it in three shot patterns. That' s also something the Powerbelt guy mentioned. He said that a lot of the times those powerbelts will shot better out of a dirty gun. And no we didn' t wait five minutes between shots, but that would be next if I ever get that close! Thanks guys for the help.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, Hale. I' m shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex P in my Traditions .50 Lightning lightweight with Powerbelt 295-grain bullets, and it shoots pretty tight at 100 yards. I think your choice of a 400+ grain Powerbelt will be great. Start with 80 grains and work up. 777 is about 20% more powerful than Pyrodex! As you know, in CO you have to use a full bore-size bullet. I think sabots suck!!

BTW, there' s nothing wrong with shooting an elk with your flintlock, if it shoots better for you!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I' ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to figure this thing out. I even called CVA to ask them what they thought. What a great guy I encountered there. His name is Dave, and I would recommend him to anyone looking for advice. I even bought a gun for my son by the time I was done. He believes a lot of my problems are coming from the 3f. He thinks it' s too hot of a load. He also guaranteed that rifle that I purchased to shoot two inch groups at a hundred yards, or send it back. That' s the kind of things I wanted to hear from Traditions. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

He also guaranteed that rifle that I purchased to shoot two inch groups at a hundred yards, or send it back.
Well, you can' t beat that kind of a guarantee![8D]