Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 KRB + FPB  =  Colorado load >

KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Well, after today's session, I feel I have found my timberline buck load for Colorado today.

Knight KRB, 90 gr. ffg 777. Winchester 777 209 primer, 350 gr Hornady FPB bullets.

Tried the bullets both as hollowpoints and with the tip simply cut off flush at the front of the bullet. They flew noticably better with the tips cut off flush.

All of these were 3 shot groups off sandbags with a williams rear peep, twilight williams appeture, and a front globe fiberoptic sight:

25 yards = 5/8 inch

50 yards = 1 & 1/4 inch

100 yards = 2 & 1/4 inch groups

Because of the timberline nature of this hunt, I hope to feel proficient out to 150 yards, so I took some shots at 150 from a prone shooting position over a backpack. All were kill shots although my groups opened up considerably. However, by the time I took those shots later in the morning, I had 10-20 mph winds. Tried to shoot between gusts, but you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am convinced that this will be my load for Colorado this year. I will also have a cow tag in my pocket, and I will not hesitate to use this load for an elk either.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KRB + PRB = Colorado load

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Well, after today's session, I feel I have found my timberline buck load for Colorado today.

Knight KRB, 90 gr. ffg 777. Winchester 777 209 primer, 350 gr Hornady PRB bullets.

Tried the bullets both as hollowpoints and with the tip simply cut off flush at the front of the bullet. They flew noticably better with the tips cut off flush.

All of these were 3 shot groups off sandbags with a williams rear peep, twilight williams appeture, and a front globe fiberoptic sight:

25 yards = 5/8 inch

50 yards = 1 & 1/4 inch

100 yards = 2 & 1/4 inch groups

Because of the timberline nature of this hunt, I hope to feel proficient out to 150 yards, so I took some shots at 150 from a prone shooting position over a backpack. All were kill shots although my groups opened up considerably. However, by the time I took those shots later in the morning, I had 10-20 mph winds. Tried to shoot between gusts, but you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am convinced that this will be my load for Colorado this year. I will also have a cow tag in my pocket, and I will not hesitate to use this load for an elk either.
Very nice setup. Great group at 100 yards with open sights.Sounds like you have really thought thru your setup and are pretty much set up. Sept will be here before ya know it.
Best Wishes, Chap Gleason
Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

With that kind of shooting you should have very little problem.. good luck on your hunt too.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, as long as I have a shooting bench and sandbags, I should be fine!!

Now comes the hard part, practicing from real shooting positions.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58
Heres a thought for you, if you look around you will see several kinds of cross sticks and tripods for the kind of hunting you will be doing the telescopeing monopole and the sticks in a sling would at least be interesting to consider[ even those who have won state and national championships consider it good to use everything possable to make clean kills. Lee
Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea! I have a "snipe-pod" that has extendable legs and pivots at the stock so you can keep the gun level on a slope. Works well.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Good idea! I have a "snipe-pod" that has extendable legs and pivots at the stock so you can keep the gun level on a slope. Works well.
I just bought this at Cabelas, just shipped to day, for Colorado 1st Rifle season, using my Savage:

http://tinyurl.com/6xq43r

"Primos Trigger Stick". Let folks knw how it works. Chap

Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Default RE: KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Made my own. That plastic stuff costs 5 to 6X's the cost.

Made this for under $10 and an hour of my time.
Work great too. Its set up for shooting off the knee in this pic.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I have:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/SniperPod/Fitting.asp
Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I have homemade shooting sticks like what Frontier Gander uses. I found that if I can get my back to something solid, sitting on the ground, I can almost match my bench rest.

I also have a walking stick I made out of Ironwood. And while it is heavy, it does help one walk in snow and stuff, and I can grab that and then rest off my fist and do a pretty good job, The only thing is, a walking stick is another thing to carry...

Those are some nice sticks you have. I bet they work good...

Quick Reply: KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.