Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black powder and black powder suds >

Black powder and black powder suds

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black powder and black powder suds

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Black powder and black powder suds

Well I guess I am a shooter not a writer I can see I did not make my point.
I do not judge by the volume of the load but by the pressure of the load; it takes close to 140 gr of BH to give you the same pressure as 120 gr of 777 FFF the difference is close to 20 percent or a bit more.
Volume is the way we normally measure so that's the way I am designating but it is not the true limiting factor pressure is. Lee
Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

It is my belief and I am certainly not as qualified as you... but I believe that BH works like any other progressive burning powder with different burning rates. I believe that BH does create more total pressure than T7 with an equal amount of powder either by volume or by weight. The difference being that it never creates the as much pressure as T7 does in a given time period. It takes longer to burn and as it burns pressure is created. T7 burns much faster and at a constant rate - therefore it reaches peak pressure sooner than BH.

Further it is my belief if you put equal amount of T7 and BH confined them in a given space - ignited them, the total pressure created would be greater with BH. In a confined space the progressive nature of the BH would even be further inhanced building even more pressure as pressure would not be released until rupture of the container. In other words you could build a bigger bomb with BH than you could with a like amount of T7.

Lastly, I agree with your thought that at no given time within the barrel does BH build the peak pressure that T7 does in a given moment of time after ignition. If T7 could build greater total pressure over the length of the burn - then we could use it in a centerfire also.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike that is about 95 % correct always remembering that the more progressive powder you bur the higher the pressure goes before it levels off. There for overloads are more dangerous. We do need to take care to stay within the pressure levels that fit the design of these guns. Even so what can be accomplished with BH is different partly because the more you put it the faster it burn so you don't end up blowing powder out the end of the barrel.
Of course the cost per load goes up as fast as the attainable velocity for anybody that cares. Lee
Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Concur