Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
just got my first black powder >

just got my first black powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got my first black powder

Old 12-20-2002, 12:44 PM

Default just got my first black powder

well its the first time ive had one and i have a year to get use to it if anyone has any advise for me from grain to loading i need help in all fields like i said its alll new to me i hope you can help me with this so i look forward to hearing from you guys thanks

hunt on little buddy hunt on!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 01:51 PM

Default RE: just got my first black powder

Don't get me wrong......But if you told the readers what MAKE AND CALIBER ML you got, it would help for suggestions.....

THE OLDER I GET... THE OLDER... OLD IS.....
Old 12-20-2002, 02:47 PM

A simple rule for loading is divide your bullet weight by 2.5 that will equal your powder. If your going to use 240gr. bullet divide this by 2.5 = 96 Round up to 100 for your powder, this is more then enough to kill a deer. I use a 240 xtp with 90 gr of powder and have killed alot of deer. Another thing when you decide what bullet and how much powder you're going to use stay with it(practice and hunting) as lomg as you're making good shots. Make sure you keep your gun CLEAN and DRY. I've seen alot of hunters have miss fires because the nipple was dirty or rusted. Like Scrooge said let us know what type of gun you've got that will help????????
Old 12-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did your rifle come with an instruction manual? If not, write Thompson Center for one of theirs. They will give one to anybody.
It covers a lot of basics.

Old 12-23-2002, 09:46 AM

sorry i didnt tell this before its a cva bobcat .50 caliber with a 26" barrel rate of twist 1 in 48" if theres anything else i can tell you please let me know i can use all the help i can get ant thank you all that have replyed so far and i hope you keep it coming

hope you all have a good holiday season thank you

Old 12-23-2002, 10:30 AM
Spike

mygamemyworld, If that were my gun,I would use 80 grs.of 2ff black powder and a patched round ball. You could also use 3fff black powder but when you use 3fff use about 10 grains less than 2ff, the pressures will be about the same then. You could use pyrodex RS or Select also, same 80 gr. charge but by volume not by scale. Pyrodex pellets don't work well in side locks so I would not use, also sabots would do better in a faster twist barrel. However maxis or great plains bullets should shoot good. remember powder, patch, ball, and you should do ok. In my own 50 cal. I use 50gr.2ff for target shooting out to 50 yds.and 80 grns for hunting charge out to 100yds. Be safe and have fun.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:37 AM

hey im sorry i didnt add all the info but if theres one thing ive learned its after you make it to page 2 and on no one wants to read the post so thank you to all that have responded

Old 01-22-2003, 08:50 AM

Yep got my first black powder for Christmas too! Looking forward to it but have to wait till after i get back from Korea! It is a Knight MK85! .50 Cal. Looking forward to using it on deer! Question I have is can you use shot pellets threw it, or will it damage the rifling?

Der Jagd Meister
aka [email protected]

Old 01-22-2003, 08:35 PM

Der Jagd Meister
I agree with you. I know that it is a little off the topic, but we would like to know about pellets. Turkey season comming up..tanks..

mygamemyworld
I am still waiting on my first new ML. Guess we can share in the summer months adventures at the range....

"Proud to be an American"
Old 01-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Der Jagd Meister:
If you want a black powder shotgun there are several on the market. Don't shoot lead shot in your rifle unless you want the lands and grooves filling up with lead. If you do it enough you will turn that .50 into a smoothbore. Then you won't have to buy a shotgun.
HTH

Quick Reply: just got my first black powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.