HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black powder and black powder suds
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Black powder and black powder suds

Lee

It is my belief and I am certainly not as qualified as you... but I believe that BH works like any other progressive burning powder with different burning rates. I believe that BH does create more total pressure than T7 with an equal amount of powder either by volume or by weight. The difference being that it never creates the as much pressure as T7 does in a given time period. It takes longer to burn and as it burns pressure is created. T7 burns much faster and at a constant rate - therefore it reaches peak pressure sooner than BH.

Further it is my belief if you put equal amount of T7 and BH confined them in a given space - ignited them, the total pressure created would be greater with BH. In a confined space the progressive nature of the BH would even be further inhanced building even more pressure as pressure would not be released until rupture of the container. In other words you could build a bigger bomb with BH than you could with a like amount of T7.

Lastly, I agree with your thought that at no given time within the barrel does BH build the peak pressure that T7 does in a given moment of time after ignition. If T7 could build greater total pressure over the length of the burn - then we could use it in a centerfire also.