Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Can you blue a stainless barrel? >

Can you blue a stainless barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can you blue a stainless barrel?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Can you blue a stainless barrel?

I have browned barrels on a couple of kit guns but have never thought about rather you could blue/brown a stainless barrel. What do you guys think.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can you blue a stainless barrel?

Personally I would not do it. And I also doubt if the over all finish could be made even. A stainless barrel is supposed to "stain less" so I think it would not take to a blue or browning process very well. I think you might be able to black ice one. But I like the look of a stainless barrel actually.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Personally I would not do it. And I also doubt if the over all finish could be made even. A stainless barrel is supposed to "stain less" so I think it would not take to a blue or browning process very well. I think you might be able to black ice one. But I like the look of a stainless barrel actually.
That is kinda what i figured. I like the stainless look also ,I have several inlines with stainless barrels. The only reason I was contemplating it was because the T/C hawken that I got has a blued barrel. The extra Green Mountain barrels that I bought are also blued. Then when I finally located a 45 cal 1:28 twist for it i find out that the only way I can get it is in stainless. I like the idea of the stainless but thought it looked more out of place on the Hawken, If you know what I mean. Especially since the other barrels are all blued. Any way just a thought

Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think you can blue a stainless barrel. I believe that the bluing or browning is a chemical reaction (an oxidation of sorts) between the bluing agent and the carbon steel. Stainless has a different chemical composition with more chromium and moly in it as well as other alloys which resist oxidation. There are some forms of stainless which will rust (400 series). But the stainless alloys used in barrels are fairly weather resistant and probably won't take a bluing.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

In the early 70's - I had a Remington Model 700 ADL that i thought was a blued model. Actually the reciever was blued but the barrel was painted black.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

There is some way to blacken the stainless. I have seen some pistols that have blackened SS parts. I googled it and came up with this http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Seems like there are some options, but you have to do some research.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: dennvt

There is some way to blacken the stainless. I have seen some pistols that have blackened SS parts. I googled it and came up with this http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Seems like there are some options, but you have to do some research.
Thanks. I thought about doing some research but decided to take the lazy way out and ask someone. I probably won't mess with it. It was just a passing thought

Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/ would be an alternative.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The steel use in guns is nickle stainless, it can rust, since bluing or browning is a rusting process it may be possible, it might take a stronger solution. Lee