Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 Question

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Triple 7 Question

I was in Walmart today and noticed they had 2 containers of T7 2F powder on sale for $15.00. Now I've never used T7 before but I thought I would give it a try in my Knight 85 inline with #11 DN caps. Now my question is this; Will I get the crud ring with 11 caps? From what I think I read here it is caused by 209 primers is that correct? Is there anything special I should know? I only got 1just to give it a try.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Triple 7 Question

Shoulda` bought both. The crud ring is no big deal if you wipe between shots.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure the No11 caps will be enough flame (mabey Im wrong?) as for the crud ring it's usually caused by the type of powder being used rather than the cap or primer. As said, just swab between shot's and you'll be fine. Again, you should have bought both of the powders.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

You might get a crud ring, but because of the #11 caps it should not be bad. Nothing a light swab of Windex will not remove. And you should have no problem shooting Triple Seven loose with a #11 ignition. I do it all the time.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rock Fish

You should have no problem making the gun go boom with #11's in that gun. The only time you might is when hunting in sub-zero weather.

You may get a little bit of a 'crud ring' you just never know till you shoot it. Running a slighly damp patch after each shot will take care of any problems. I use regular windex and just barely dampen a patch.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

My mk85 loves triple 7. I usually swab it out between shots at the range but I still have a lite crud ring. You can really notice it if you take 2-3 shots without running a patch. then when you do run one down the crud area will really grab at your jag and patch.my only problem with triple 7 so far in my mk85 is that the knight breech plug grease will just about cauterize to the point that the breech can be tough to get out. one of the guys here recommended nosler 300 hr bullets. I got 50 and i'm heading to my hunting cabin this weekend to test em out.triple 7 is super easy to clean out of your barrel after you finish shooting.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

ps, i use musket caps in my mk85,i used #11s for years with no problem but knight gave the musket cap conversion for free so i tried and like how quick i can get the caps off and on compared to #11's.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deer655

ps, i use musket caps in my mk85,i used #11s for years with no problem but knight gave the musket cap conversion for free so i tried and like how quick i can get the caps off and on compared to #11's.
What did theconversion consist of? I believe they sold a nipple that accepted musket caps and I believe I still have it. The nipple was a red color. All you did was replace the standard nipple.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Spike

is the crud ring enough that you can't put down another follow-up shot without swabbing, if needed in the field?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

rock fish; they sent me another breechplug plus a musket nipple. they also sent the breech plug removal tool. in the field using powerbelts i can reload after my first shot fast as my hands can move. muskets caps to me are much easier to get on and off then 11's. as for the triple 7 i can slide either a powerbelt or a saboted speer 260gr bullet down with no problem. now if there was a third or fourth shot i would definitely hit a hard to push spot down the barrel if i didnt swab it out but nothing too bad.

Quick Reply: Triple 7 Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.