Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Blue or Stainless?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Blue or Stainless?

This might be a stupid question but...
I will be buying a new rifle for varmints. Mostly groundhogs and hopefully some coyotes. I really like the looks of stainless. I'm not so worried about groundhogs but don't want to spook predators. How good are a yote's eyes? Will they spot a stainless barrel?
Thx
Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blue or Stainless?

Not if light doesn't reflect from it, watch the position of the sun carefully. Another option is to cover the barrel with some camoe tape or bushrag and don't worry about it, the glint from your scope is far more likely to spook them.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's unlikely that the ss barrel will spook an animal. Like Kevin stated the reflection from your scopes lenses is more likely to do that. If your going to spend the extra money for the ss don't go hiding it with some camo tape. I always felt those tapes looked tacky anyway. Check out Savages Predator series, they come with a camo finish and the ones that I've seen look pretty sharp. Would I buy one probably not because I already have three varmint/target rigs.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

You can always have your stainless dipped or coated in a camo pattern if you are worried about reflection. Allot of manufactures are now making their stainless guns in a matte finish that doesn't reflect. Coyotes are more likely to smell you, or spot you if your setup is bad, than be spooked by your guns finish.