Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets? >

245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Did that hit a deer, and where at?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I shot a doe with it, but I didnt get any pics of the doe. She was quartering away from me. It went in the right sideabout midway back, and clipped the lower part of the spine, then went thru everything in side, making a mess.[:@]Exit was on theleft side right behind the shoulder. It wend thru the ribs, but did not exit the hide. Did not fragment at all. I would have liked for it to be a pass thru, but it did drop her in her tracks.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen deer shot close range with 12 gauge slugs and they came to rest under the hide opposite side. The hide on the exit side can act as a catchers mitt sometimes, so that isn't all that different than a pass-thru. It still penetrated the entire body. poking through the skin wouldn't make any more difference. The more a bullet expands, the easier for the hide to stop it from coming out I guess.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, but I like to have an entrance, AND an exit hole. Without the exit hole, if my doe would not have dropped in her tracks, I might have had a very small blood trail, because the entrance hole was hight. But then on the other hand, it is nice to recoveer the bullet.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Sproul, I shoot the copper Hollowpoint 295 in my 1-48 twist flintlock pushed by 80 grains 777 in 2f, which equals about 92 grains if shooting BP 2f. So you think I should slow it down? I hardly feel a kick at that load as it is. How far out do you shoot with PB?
i dont think a problem, most of problems are over 100 gr in-line speeds.

most of buck i killed over years with my flintlock have never been over 75 yds.
if i see buck farther than that, i get closer.

i do carry a walking stick.

to hunt this way, you never seem to find a tree when you need it,so i built a pole with a hook onside to rest my gun.

that stick has got me a few buck i would have missed.

i also use the 6 o,clock hold,this way your sight does not cover the deer.

the 370 maxi-ball behind 80 grs of 2f is great load for deer.

stay away from the MAXI-HUNTERS.

i , like you like the pb because i dont have to use that bore butter in winter, it freezes badly.

i also leave my charge in my gun for whole season.

leave gun in truck bed or back as far as you can in your suv so moisture does not get at it and leave gun in garage,not in home at night.

if you dont,shoot it out every couple days but at buck a shot, i leave mine loaded and it works fine all season at times.

holow point powerbellts , in my opinion for flintlock are best bullet out there because you can LOAD DOWN , not up and stil have bullet that will open up on deer.

secret to shooting a flintlock is not jerking because of recoil, smoke,noise and with a powerbelt loaded no more than 80 grs in .50 cal, its a very nice gun to shoot

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

I agree, but I like to have an entrance, AND an exit hole. Without the exit hole, if my doe would not have dropped in her tracks, I might have had a very small blood trail, because the entrance hole was hight. But then on the other hand, it is nice to recoveer the bullet.
this is why when we hunted with crews driving deer with our flintlocks, we only used the 370 MAXI-BALL IN .50CAL HAWKINS.

your shots were quick and times you did not get best shot on buck .

those MAXI-BALLS are about best bullet for that type of hunting.

it will break bones and come out the other side.

now, i dont hunt that way, i sit and walk now by myself so i get broadside shots at deer that are not excited.

so, i like powerbellt 295/348 for this type of hunting.