HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Sproul, I shoot the copper Hollowpoint 295 in my 1-48 twist flintlock pushed by 80 grains 777 in 2f, which equals about 92 grains if shooting BP 2f. So you think I should slow it down? I hardly feel a kick at that load as it is. How far out do you shoot with PB?
i dont think a problem, most of problems are over 100 gr in-line speeds.

most of buck i killed over years with my flintlock have never been over 75 yds.
if i see buck farther than that, i get closer.

i do carry a walking stick.

to hunt this way, you never seem to find a tree when you need it,so i built a pole with a hook onside to rest my gun.

that stick has got me a few buck i would have missed.

i also use the 6 o,clock hold,this way your sight does not cover the deer.

the 370 maxi-ball behind 80 grs of 2f is great load for deer.

stay away from the MAXI-HUNTERS.

i , like you like the pb because i dont have to use that bore butter in winter, it freezes badly.

i also leave my charge in my gun for whole season.

leave gun in truck bed or back as far as you can in your suv so moisture does not get at it and leave gun in garage,not in home at night.

if you dont,shoot it out every couple days but at buck a shot, i leave mine loaded and it works fine all season at times.

holow point powerbellts , in my opinion for flintlock are best bullet out there because you can LOAD DOWN , not up and stil have bullet that will open up on deer.

secret to shooting a flintlock is not jerking because of recoil, smoke,noise and with a powerbelt loaded no more than 80 grs in .50 cal, its a very nice gun to shoot