Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some Newbie Questions >

Some Newbie Questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some Newbie Questions

Old 02-18-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Some Newbie Questions

Hey guys, I' m 31 years old and just looking to start bowhunting. I have a 27" draw. I will be using a bow mainly for hunting. I know there is several beginning bow hunter posts on here but didn' t see any with the answers that I wanted. I have a few questions for beginning bowhunters.

1. Rests - Since I' m a beginner, should I go with one of the capture rests or go with a drop away rest? I really don' t like the TM Hunter rests and think I would have a problem with the arrow following off the rest. Do you guys use the drop away rests for hunting or is it more of a 3D type of rest? Also do you have any problems with components freezing up on them as it can get snowy and cold here in Nebraska.

2. Sights - I really like 2 sights that I' ve seen and read about. One is the Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix and the other is the Impact Cosmic. Any thoughts on which would be better for a beginner. I' m still a little complexed on how guys get the Cosmic to work for say a 30 yard shot if it is currenty set at 20 yards.

3. Draw Weight - Most bows I see are between 60-70 lb draws. I was thinking about going with 50-60 lb. Is there an advantage to having a 60-70 lb draw? I' m a stout guy so the weight wouldn' t be a real problem but is it overkill or will I get a flatter shot? I won' t be hunting anything bigger than deer for a while.

4. Bows - Most say go with a longer axle to axle length for a beginner to have a more forgiving bow. I' m curious is there that big of a difference between a short bow and a longer one? Can' t a beginner practice enough with a shorter bow to become proficient?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Some Newbie Questions

1. My favorite rest is the Whisker Biscuit rest. Sure it looks like a huge gimmick but if you are just into bowhunting I do not see one downside to this rest, maybe if you were a 3-d shoooter but not a hunter because there is no signifigant decrease in speed or accuracy. Im not a big fan of the drop-away rests to many moving parts to break.

2. Trophy Ridge is a very good sight company. As for myself like I said above just hunt, no competition shoots so i try to keep everything simple I decide what the maximum range is ill shoot and i have two pins, and practice with them all year long, something i found to help is take each arrow give it a good toss and go shoot fro mwhere it lands to help me with judging distance but make sure you have a safe place you can do this first. I like to keep it simple so when the time comes i dont have to do a mathematical equation to figure out which pin to use.

3.Personally I' d go with the 60-70lb draw weight. You say that you have no problem drawing it back so thats what id choose and id probably set it on 60-65, sure 70 will be flatter shooting, but when your settin up a tree on a seat four inches wide in 10degree wheather four fours hours your gonna get pretty stiff so i like to keep mine a little lower for times like that.

4. As for bows don' t let anybody sway you one way, one bow might feel better to you then it does to somebody else thats where you have to go and try for yourself. With a name like mien youd think thats what id be shootin but im shootin a mathews this year. I started out with a longer bow myself like 36-37inches not to bad but they say a longer bow is a bit easier to shoot, but a shorter bow has its obivious advantages. dont let anybody tell you what bow to buy you have to decide that for yourself.

Thats all i can help with hope it helps you if you need anything else just ask
Old 02-18-2003, 08:38 PM

Thanks hoythunter. I like the whisker bisquit too especially the new quick shot one. Have you ever had any problems with the whiskers freezing up?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:34 PM

Welcome to bowhunting!

1. If you are shooting a release you shouldn' t have a problem with the arrow falling off the rest, unless your pulling too much weight causing you to jerk. As far as drop aways, I use one but I don' t think I would recommend one to a new bowhunter. Look into Golden Key and Bodoodle, they make great arrow rests. I can' t speak for the wisker bisquit, but have heard it has problems with freezing up.

2. For sights, I would stick with fixed pins at first, I use a trophy ridge and love it, but there are many other pin sights that are very good. Really, I think you looking a personal preference here.

3. Draw weight is also personal preference. You will have a flatter shooting bow with more weight, but in my opinion the difference is relatively minor. 50-60 is plenty of weight to kill any animal.

4. Axle to Axle lenght on bows is also relatively null, unless your talking about the difference between a 30 inch and 40 inch. Choose something in between and you' ll be fine.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:40 PM

Thanks Belle. I think if I will probably go with either a bodoodle or wisker biscuit. Just don' t know which yet. I kinda like the Bodoodle but lots of guys seem to like the Whisker.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM

restes i just bought the bodoole zapper for my son this caputers the arrow...
the site just loosen the rear nut and slide to the disered yardage.....impact sight is great i just bought the cosmic verision and notice there is " no" ajustment to zero the sight at it highest point to 20yards shooting it this weekend.
bow is all feel if is comfortable and can you pull it back at -12 below wind chill?
thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 05:56 AM

Again welcome to bowhunting :

1. I' d say a Wisker Biscuit and Carolina Archery makes a spray that will eliminate any potential problems with freezing.
2. Sights- I' d say the Trophy Ridge starting out but I would not shoot a micro for hunting(too small). I shoot an Impact Cosmic and love it . I have found a 1 pin set up to be the easiest over all , but I would not start with one .
3. Draw weight - either one . I' d probably go with 60-70 if your going to be able to shoot a lot between now and season to get your archery muscles built up(which is different from being strong). If you go with 50-60 ,with your 27 " draw, if I was you I' d take a serious look at the new Bowtechs for the power (And I' m a Mathews guy).
4.Nothing wrong with a short ATA bow(32 " or less to me) ,but make sure it has at least a 7.5" brace height . If you go with something 34 " -38" you could get by with a little shorter BH .

Good Luck !!
Old 02-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

HELLO,
Sights--the COSMIC
Rests--whisker bisquit
Draw weight--50-60 is plenty and a bow will perform better when closer to the max. poundage for that bow.
axle to axle--34" and up should be o.k. for starters.
JMHO.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello and welcome to the world of archery

I recommend the GKF Shootout containment rest unlike thr WB the arrows fletching does not come in contact with the rest and is very easy to tune

Yikes bow sight

Barracuda release with a string loop

the poundage is something you are going to have to figure what you are comfortable with.

you dont want to start with a bow that has a low brace heighth because they are not very forgiving. 34" is a good ATA bow to start with

I would suggest looking at A Reflex Bighorn now would be a good time to buy this bow cheap because the stores are trying to close out the 02 stock to make way for the new 03 models.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Some Newbie Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.