Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bonded Shockwave photos >

Bonded Shockwave photos

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bonded Shockwave photos

Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bonded Shockwave photos

Semisane

Since we are in a picture showing mood and if you gonna look at expensive bullets... well then here the best Nosler Partitions....

A .458(45-70)/300 grain Nosler partition PP - a real rifle bullet and a .451/260 grain Nosler Partition HP - both recovered from real dead animals...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

I tried the barnes ones in my Knight last year and had hell trying to get them to group at 100 yards. At best I only saw 6inch groups compared to the SW's 2 inch groups then. They may shoot better in the T/C though. I still have 6 of those left so I may test those to see how they work before buying brand new ones. Those were the 250grain ones to. A buddie uses them in his savage with excellent results. They just hated my old knight rifle though

Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Crazyfarmer
Are you familar with the fact that the are about 7 different thickness of sabots and the right sabot is most important to accuracy? There will still be the differances in what your particular rifle prefers, but I believe from my own experance that with the right sabot, andthe right bullet and a quality gun that anything over a 4.5" group would be uncommen. A lot of people buy these package deals that include a sabot with one chane in 4 or 5 that it is exactly the right one for there gun. My Omega and my Triumph will both give me one hole groups, but while the Omega will do it with the SW's put out buy the same brand as the gun, it would not untill I lapped the bore to get it to where they fit well and I am still using Crush Ribs in the Triumph. If you belong to a shooting club or a range try trading sabots untill you have at least a sample of all of them if possable then when you check out a new bullet notice how it loads; if it is to tight or to loose, and try different sabots if it is. Lee
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM

275gr Parker Hydra Con with 100gr pyrodex rs, 100yards into damp sand. 3 shot group was 1" The 250's will shoot a dime size hole. Quite a bit of accuracy loss with the 275s in my rifle.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

you should try the 250gr barnes expander. Those expand nicely!

My omega doesnt shoot them very well, 4" @ 100 and they load super tight so you'll have to mess around with sabots more than likely.
My Omega shoots the Expander 300g very well with 100g of BH. I plan on using them this year. Only shot 3 shots with my Omega with the Blacknorn and Expander, but it was great group in the heat.
Chap

Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

you should try the 250gr barnes expander. Those expand nicely!

My omega doesnt shoot them very well, 4" @ 100 and they load super tight so you'll have to mess around with sabots more than likely.
Another bullet that folks should try that is like the Barnes Expander is the Barnes 45/70 bullet called Flat Nose TSX, it is Barnes part number 45843, the hollow point is exactly like the expander, and it is .458 diameter instead of .452. My Savage likes .458 bullets with the Crushed Rib sabot and it shot them well (I was shooting 44g of 5744 with this bullet). I believe they would be awsome on game of any size, 300g. This was 100 yards. Chap

Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Semisane

Since we are in a picture showing mood and if you gonna look at expensive bullets... well then here the best Nosler Partitions....

A .458(45-70)/300 grain Nosler partition PP - a real rifle bullet and a .451/260 grain Nosler Partition HP - both recovered from real dead animals...

6 point buck shot in brisket, bullet on off side under skin in hind quarter, shot the whole length of the deer. Nosler Partition 300g HG with 100g of 777 fom Omega. 2006 Opening day of MLer season, 1/2 hour sunrise. Bottom line, Nosler, STRONG bullet, expands on flesh, not bone. SW expand on bone not flesh on close shot,---"pencil thrus" with long trailing jobs is the complaint I hear. Noslers, no compalins---oh yes, 1 complaint, expensive.
Chap