Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New TC Bonded Shockwave >

New TC Bonded Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New TC Bonded Shockwave

Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 AM

Default New TC Bonded Shockwave

I have beenBow and shotgunhunting for 16 years, but just this year got a muzzleloader (Omega 50cal Laminated thumbhole stock SST). After reading a ton of posts on this site in the last couple of days I have picked up some BlackMag3 but haven't decided on a bullet yet I'm going to try the shockwave and Hornady sst. Has anyone tried the newTC Bonded shockwaves, what are the benifits of being bonded.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 AM

Default RE: New TC Bonded Shockwave

Sab you mentioned trying the SST and Shockwave, they are the same as the Shockwave is simply the SST built by Hornday and repackaged for TC. BUT the sabots appear different too me and if you are going to shoot 120< loads (which you should with that gun) you need to stick with the heaviest black sabots you can find. The supermag sabots from MMP are REALLY good at sealing extreme pressure loads. Alot of guys who can't get their TCs to shoot mag loads well simply are using sabots that are to soft and weak. The 250SST atop 150grns of 777 in your rifle is about as bad as it gets. That combo and rifle is a 300yd setup for the man who spends a lil time at the range and learns where his rifle hits.

As far as the bonded, it's a construction method whereby the core of the bullet (lead) is bonded too the jacket (copper) which increases strength and eliminates core seperation when the bullet mushrooms. I started shooting the 300SSTs in my Savage lastyear and they simply will NOT stay inside a deer with a broadside shot. They are GREAT bullets and essentially the muzzleloading equivalent of Hornday's Innerbond and Nosler's Accubond.

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM

Do the bonded bulletsdo more damage? Do they fly the same as non bonded? I plan on shooting 90- 100g of BM3 will I still need the supermag sabots?
Old 07-24-2005, 02:18 PM

With 100 grains of BM3, you should be fine with the regular T/C Shockwave and sabot. I shot a 6 X 6 bull elk last fall with a 300 grain Shockwave/130 grains of Pyrodex Pellets;and was pretty satisfied with its performance. The core did separate from the jacket in the last couple inches of the the bullet's path, but it was inconsequential to the wound channel. I would think the bonded Shockwaves would be a little better for bear,elk, and moose - but probably not worth the expense for deer hunting.