Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Green Mountain LRH stainless >

Green Mountain LRH stainless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green Mountain LRH stainless

Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Green Mountain LRH stainless

The camera batteries died today, and the bugs about ate me alive. So I only shot at the 35 yard line. Used my Renegade with the Green Mountain Barrel stainless steel LRH 1-28 twist with the 1X Thompson Center scope on it.

I was shooting from a bench and wanted to try a number of different bullets and powder charges. I started out on a clean barrel shooting the 250 grain Saber Tooth Conicals. I tried to shake them off the charge and out the barrel as was a concern of some, but was unable to. Since 35 yards is my average shot distance for deer here, I wanted to see how they would do.

If I had fowled the bore, I think I would have had a hole with them. They really shot well out of that rifle. With 90 grains of 2f triple se7en powder, that would make a good deer load if the thing did not hit, splatter and blow up. Also I never swabbed the bore, and they loaded very nice. Firm, but nice.

I then swabbed the rifle too clean and had a hangfire on the next test group. It shot high and wild. So I dried the bore better and shot the next five. Group #2 was some Hornady .430 44 caliber 300 grain HP/XTP in a green Crushed Rib sabot by Harvester. Shooting 90 grains of 2f triple Se7en they did very well. I then was swabbing between shots but being very careful of drying the bore. How it could have stayed wet in the heat is beyond me.

I then did not swab the bore clean. Instead I had taken some Buffalo Bullet Conicals I had bought (I purchased a whole case of them ... 720 of them) and sized them to .501 so they would be slip fit. I loaded 90 grains of triple se7en (lower right piece of tape) and the ramrod weight would almost seat the conical. I was more then pleased with the way they shot.

I then still did not swab, and loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and the same Buffalo Bullet Conicals sized down to .501. They average 420 grains I believe it is. And the center piece of tape.. I shot another very acceptable group with them. I might have to consider them a hunting load, as that would put a world of hurt on a deer with that hollow point conical.

I then swabbed the bore clean, dried it well, even popped a #11 cap and loaded 100 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and the 300 grain Hornady XTP. I swabbed every other shot, so I could see how they behaved. I wish I had checked each shot instead of shooting five as fast as I could. It looks like I might have a swab example there. I BELIEVE that the swabbed shots groups and the un swabbed shots did as well.

I then set a couple cans up at 50 yards and was shooting 70 grains and the conicals and basically tearing them apart. So I was happy with today's results. Although most of the groups were a little to the right. I might have to make a slight scope adjustment. But will try again in the future and see if the results are duplicated.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Green Mountain LRH stainless

Fine shooting Cayugad, and some darn good loads. That 420 conical over 90 grains T7 sure looks like a winner. I'd like to see a 75 or 100 yard group with that load.

Does the scope base you have for the Renegade off-set the scope to the left of the barrel? Also, what height rings are you using on it?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

yes the base off sets for the sake of the trigger, and I have a set of medium weaver mounts on it.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - They all look pretty darn good to me. Seems though as if that barrel may prefer the conicals over the saboted bullets. Maybe we will know better when you get a chance to stretch out the yardage a bit more.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default Barrels

Any of y'all guys know where I can get a drop in barrel for a tc renegade
Old 04-02-2019, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bubba12
Any of y'all guys know where I can get a drop in barrel for a tc renegade
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...t1Name=Barrels Might call them or check track of the wolf.com
Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Buy an old one on eBay and send it to Bob Hoyt to have it re-rifled.
That seems to be what most folks are doing since it's economical.
Or for a little more money he can install a barrel liner for a caliber of your choice.

Last edited by arcticap; 04-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.