Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Green Mountain for White Mountain >

Green Mountain for White Mountain

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green Mountain for White Mountain

Old 01-29-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Green Mountain for White Mountain

Does Green Mountain make a replacement barrel for T/C Whitemountain carbines? Also, do they make a fast twist barrel for shooting conicals that will fit the Lyman Great Plains Rifle?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Green Mountain for White Mountain

According to my chart They do make a barrel for the Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine. #910115 which is a .50 caliber 21" barrel with a 1-28 twist.

They only Lyman rifles I see barrels for are the Trade Rifle, the Deerstalker, and the Investarms Hawkins (Cabela's Hawkins).

You could double check with them. Call Kerry at 1-603-447-1095. She will be more then glad to answer your questions....
Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy a replacement fast twist Lyman barrel by clicking RIGHT HERE
Old 01-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Viking_hunter

Does Green Mountain make a replacement barrel for T/C Whitemountain carbines? Also, do they make a fast twist barrel for shooting conicals that will fit the Lyman Great Plains Rifle?
The GM IBS barrels for the T/Cs will fit the GPR with the addition of another barrel lug. If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself, and it isn't that difficult, then any gunsmith can do it for you. TOTW will sell you the barrel and add the lug for a small additional charge.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:58 PM

I don't blame you for wanting to put another barrell on that White Mountain. I had one and it was the fussiest muzzle loader I ever had. One year it would shoot great then the next year I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Then the next season it would shoot good again. I tried everything I could think of and I just couldn't get it to shoot consistent from year to year. I finaly sold it and bought a new Knight.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys!
I have killed many deer with my Whitemountain carbine and it's a great carry gun. I just want better accuracy. The Great Plains rifle is a nice roundball shooter and I would like it even more, if I could turn it into a "switch barrel" gun. I would like to shoot Great Plains bullets out of it. I have a new Knight Revolution for that long range shot. This way, I will have all the bases covered.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Viking_hunter

Thanks guys!
I have killed many deer with my Whitemountain carbine and it's a great carry gun. I just want better accuracy. The Great Plains rifle is a nice roundball shooter and I would like it even more, if I could turn it into a "switch barrel" gun. I would like to shoot Great Plains bullets out of it. I have a new Knight Revolution for that long range shot. This way, I will have all the bases covered.
Well the Lyman Great Plains Hunter(GPH) is the same rifle as the Lyman Great Plains Rifle(GPR), except it has a fast twist barrel. You can buy either a GPR or GPH and the extra barrel in fast twist, or slow, depending on which model you originally purchased and accomplish what you want. My personal opinion, based on my personal preferances, would be to just buy a GPR in .54cal for shhooting round balls and forget a fast twist barrel. With a bit of tweaking on the sights, the GPR, shooting a .54cal roundball, will handle any game you are going after, within reasonable limits. By reasonable limits, I mean the rifle is easily capable of putting a ball into the kill zone, with the open sights, out to 100 yds. If your shooting skills will allow you to make that shot with confidence, the roundball will do the job on most big game you are likely to be hunting.