Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Should I buy a HAWKENS >

Should I buy a HAWKENS

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I buy a HAWKENS

Old 02-26-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Should I buy a HAWKENS

Thinking about buying a flintlock out of Cabellas, It is a 50cal Hawkens flintlock, anybody have experience with this muzzleloader?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Should I buy a HAWKENS

i bought the kit to build a 50cal flintlock hawkins from cabelas and had lots of trouble with the pre drilled holes in the stock being too bigto make every thing fit together snugly, spent lots of time on the phone with em trying to explain the problem and eventually ended up returning the whole kit to them, i dont know anything about the pre assembled rifle bu that is what i would suggest doing, building one yourself would definately cost more $ than the pr assembled one, (sure would be sweet to have one you built yourself though), i have always been very happy with cabela' s and have bought lots items from them since this isolated incident--they gave me no problem when i returned the kit i had messed with for 2 months either.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:26 AM

MATTHEWS : since you live in pa there is a paper called the paper shop cost $00.99 cents there are some great deal in the hunting section about three weeks ago there was a lyman flinter new for $175.00 also i seen a t/c kit renegade for $75.00 buy the paper you will land a great deal
Old 02-27-2003, 01:53 PM

Thanks alot guys. Iam thinking about going with Cabellas Hawkens muzzleloader kit. I am currently active duty stationed in CA in the USMC, and will finish my active duty next year in NOV. Cant wait to return back to PA and get back into the swing of things. THanks
Old 02-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are set on a kit, how about a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit?
Old 02-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The kind of kits you are talking about have almost all of the difficult work, such as inletting parts and drilling holes, already done. About all you have to do is assemble it and do the final wood and metal finishing. Cabela' s stuff is pretty good, as a rule, but for a flintlock, I recommend the Lyman Great Plains rifle. It is pretty close to a real Hawken in design (it has two barrel keys, for example), and the locks give a lot of sparks! This is the most important thing about a flintlock!! Plenty of sparks that land in the center of the priming pan! The next most important thing is the location of the touch hole. It should be even with, OR SLIGHTLY ABOVE, the top edge of the priming pan.

Thanks for your service to our country!!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I am sure there is nothing wrong with Cabelas products, although I have never put any of them together. I have to agree with 1950Kid and eldeguello, I would tend to push for the Lyman Great Plains Rifle or the T/C Hawkins. I just think they are a great quality firearm. I have a T/C Renegade that was a kit back in the 70' s and is still shooting great. My friend put together a T/C Hawkins and it is in my opinion one of the most beautiful Hawkins I have seen. He did an outstanding job on the fitting and the stock, all hand rubbed. The stock was excellent looking wood and the rifle is really something to see. My theory always has been you get what you pay for. What ever you choose, good luck and I hope it turns out fine....