Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look >

My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look

Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Default My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/New_Rifle_Stock____3_01_06_005.jpg
COPY AND PASTE THE ABOVE LINK,HOPE IT OPENS
Well finished my winter project flip my old t/c hawkens flinter hardware from the hawken stock into the PA hunter stock.I also added a front globe sight off a H@R bC buffalo classic, the hawkens wears a rear hunter peep
by t/c on the tang.I gave the stock about 15 coats of tung oil and used true oil on the inside barrel channel.I glass-beded the tang and full free
floated the barrel.I also added a steel butt plate off an older rnegade and used LMF browning chemical to finished off the steel butt plate.I have to say the new look has a sleeker look and to me looks a lot more traditional.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look

lonewolf5347

This really looks great - nice job..

I'll post the pic for you if that is ok....

Old 03-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

real nice job there.. looks good!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM

she looks great. have any pictures of it before you did the work? would be interesting to see pics of the old and new next to each other.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

lonewolf5347,
Your Renegade looks very nice. I just finished a Renegade stock too, but I only gavemine 5 coats of tung oil and 2 coats of Johnson's paste wax. I used Formby's tung oil, what did you use and does your's leave finger prints when you handle it....mine does.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:47 AM

I used Formby's tung oil after about 5 coats I wet sand with 600 grit wet and dry paper ,then keep applying the tung oil until the pours are filled,may give a light pass with 0000 steel wool somewere around 12 coats and just finish up with tung oil I also find I like the low sheen oil.
I think your finger prints are coming from the johnson paste wax
Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

lonewolf5347,
I wet sanded my stock several times before I applied the tung oil. Then after each application of tung oil I lightly used 000 steel wool between each coat of tung oil. I was using Formby's gloss tung oil and I noticed the finger prints before I applied the Johnson's paste wax. My guess is that I'm getting the finger prints because I used the gloss tung oilvs. low sheen??
Either way we both have great looking stocks to be proud of. If I ever re-finish another stock I'm going to try and use your procedure.
Thanks for sharing with us!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 PM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/P1040008.jpg
ENCOREMAN : here a picture of my 54 cal. renegade flinter I did about three years ago,seem the guy had this kit in the basement for 30 years I also used tung oil on the stock and browned all the metal with LMF browning chemical and it a tack driver
Old 03-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

lonewolf5347

I really like this one... I am a little afraid to make mine look this good - I would be worried about taking it out and hunting with it...

Lonewolf's project: hope ypu don't mind that I uploaded this....

Old 03-08-2006, 04:44 PM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/55ford1.jpg
sabotloader thanks for the picture
I think you will like the above link ,has nothing to do with hunting.I have 2 full years in the above truck,can't tell you how many hours,and I still drive it.
I don't think I would load a deer in the pickup truck bed,do you agree
I do all my own work from paint to metal and rebuiling almost forgot welding also

Quick Reply: My OLD T/C Hawkens with a new look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.