Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Copper Anti Seize

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Copper Anti Seize

I had a guy here at work give me a bottle of copper anti seize with a brush attached to the cap. Service rating for this anti seize is -65f to 1800f. Anybody ever use this stuff? I've been using the CVA stick with no problems. The trade name is called KOPR-KOTE. Also says it meets military specs. Other than it being free should I have any concerns using it?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Copper Anti Seize

sjsfire

Personally I do not use any anti-sieze any longer - just teflon. But, back in the day when I thought I was suppose to I did try several different types of anti-sieze. Some of them with copper, some of them with aluminum - I would really stay away from them on the breech plug. You can end up shooting some of the anti-sieze with metal intothe barrel and the throat of the breech. The barrel will have copper particles blown into it. Do not think it hurts anything much, other than a stain but it is a bear to get the stain out. It would be my suggestion if you are gonna use anti-sieze - not use use a product with metal particles included.

Just my thoughts...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

If you want cheap anti seize go to an Auto Parts store or Wal Mart and get a tub or tube of Slick 50 One Grease. You now have a life long supply of anti seize. I have been using it for a short time now and really like it. I used to use the CVA but after they changed their formula I found the new stuff was not to my liking anymore...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I read the lab test results years a go the nickle rated best the copper next. Due to the same concerns that Sabotloader has I use teflon, since I dont like the tape I use the grease. It has work well for me. If you chose to use anti seize that contains metal I would suggest that you do so carefully if it got burn on to the side of the chamber it might be as hard as soder or braze to get off. Lee
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep it to use but not for my muzzleloader. I still have the CVA stuff and when that runs out I'll pick up a tube of the Slick 50.. Never tried the tape yet but have read all posts regarding the use on breech plugs. I might give the tape a try when the weather allows me out to the range again. Thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have the same success with the tape that I had with my Mustang, you'll never go back to grease.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, the only Slick 50 one grease I have been able to find is a pressurized spray can is that the same stuff?
Lee
Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found the Slick 50 grease. It comes in a tube that goes into the grease guns. Never seen any in a tub.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

The copper is great stuff, but it makes a mess. Check this stuff out at midway. The stick form is much easier to apply http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...amp;t=11082005