Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anti seize

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default anti seize

How much anti seize do you put on yur breech plug. I'm hoping to get out and shoot my new gun this weekend. I cleanedthe boreyesterday, what a mess in a new gun. Anyhow I put a pretty good coat on the breech plug trying to get it on every thread. Is that too much, or is there such a thing? I don't have too much where it's squeezing out all over the place. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Default RE: anti seize

A thin even coat in the threads is good. You'll know when its to much when you screw it in and its squeezes out and makes a mess. What kind of gun?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

How much anti seize do you put on yur breech plug. I'm hoping to get out and shoot my new gun this weekend. I cleanedthe boreyesterday, what a mess in a new gun. Anyhow I put a pretty good coat on the breech plug trying to get it on every thread. Is that too much, or is there such a thing? I don't have too much where it's squeezing out all over the place. Thanks!
I hold the breach plug in my left hand end to end and place a thin stip all the way down the length of the threads. Then I turn the threads 180 degrees and do the same on theother side, when you screw it in you get a pretty good distribution on the threads. That appears to be just the right amount. I do NOT coat each and every goove of each thread. When you tighten, go up to snug. Do NOT fully tighten it down a 1/2 or 1/4 turn past SNUG, it is very hard to get it out then. Also is you shoot more than 10 times, it is good to untighten your breech plug or better yet take out and put new grease on. I have had to POUND them out with a hammer and that sometimes rounds the end of the plug. If you shoot 20 times and do NOT loosen or clean the Breech Plug you will have one heck of a time getting it out.
Chap Gleason
Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM

Chap, instead of pounding on it, try using a propane torch and heat the breach plug area and it will come out easily. I only finger tighten my plug now and havnt had a plug freeze up on me in months.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Chap, instead of pounding on it, try using a propane torch and heat the breach plug area and it will come out easily. I only finger tighten my plug now and havnt had a plug freeze up on me in months.
Super idea FG, would never have thought of that.Thank I will remember that one (How do you do that on a Knight Disc?). "Snug" is with a Breech Plugtool just to where it catches at the end, twisting the tool with my fingers NOT a wrench or rachet, so similar to what you say. Important, as you pointed out. I don't know that when I first started shooting ML, boy I learned fast. Never again. Chap Gleason
PS. I do have extra breech plugs for each gun I own "just in case". I have NOT had to use it yet, but I suspect that day will come.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM

I have to use my tool when removing/putting in my breechplug, when i said finger tight, i just meant to use the tool that engages the plug and when you feel the plug stop, Dont tighten anymore.. " finger tight" ..Gorilla greese is my favorite stuff to use. Smells like bubble gum, isnt messy and leaves your hands with a nice smell.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I take a piece of white teflon pipe threadtape and wrap the breech plug counter clock wise first. Then I have a small model builder's paint brush. I put a good dab of anti seize on the tape and paint that into the threads, just as if I were painting every little bit of that plug. After that I screw the breech plug in to where it is tight. Then back it off 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

Like Chap said, if you shoot the thing 10 times or more, just reach in there and give that plug a twist. It will help it to come out at the end of the day. If more then you needed grease backs off the plug, just reach in there with a Q-tip and wipe out that excess grease. Always better to have more then too little.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the responses, and to all the other questions I've came up with since Christmas. It's a CVA Wolf, I know a lower priced gun. I think I see more possitive remarks than bad about them here. Anyhow I got it from my friend who bought it from someone else, long story. Whitetails Unlimited, DU, or some organization like that called the guy as they have in the past and since he had his FFL he gets their guns for their banquets. So, this Wolf comes in and when he calls them they say they no longer want it, so he's stuck with it. My friend pays him the $100 he has wrapped up in it. I'm down at my friend's farm deer hunting this fall and he shows me. I make the comment that I've always wanted one and he sold it to me for $100. Tossed in some 245gr Powerbelts and some Remington Primers. So, I got a Bushnell scope on it, some loose powder, some 50gr Pyrodex pellets, all the cleaning stuff and I'm just itchin to shoot it. Hey, It was brand new in the box for $100.......we'll see if this sets the hook in me.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 PM

ah crap.. remington cleanbores? Good luck with them! Hopefully you wont get delayed shots i kept getting. You got a great deal also. Enjoy it and keep us all posted.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

I have to use my tool when removing/putting in my breechplug, when i said finger tight, i just meant to use the tool that engages the plug and when you feel the plug stop, Dont tighten anymore.. " finger tight" ..Gorilla greese is my favorite stuff to use. Smells like bubble gum, isnt messy and leaves your hands with a nice smell.
Where do you get Gorilla greese? Chap

Quick Reply: anti seize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.