Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anti-seize

Old 11-14-2005, 08:54 PM

Default anti-seize

I did a search & only got 2 past post , so I was wondering if any of the anti-seize products work better then the others or do any just not work well at all. FYI just shot the 1st 5 rounds through my Black Diamond and as you all have said - what a rush.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: anti-seize

ORIGINAL: gadgetgeekmt

I did a search & only got 2 past post , so I was wondering if any of the anti-seize products work better then the others or do any just not work well at all. FYI just shot the 1st 5 rounds through my Black Diamond and as you all have said - what a rush.
The best anti seize on the market in my opinion is CVA - Slick breech plug and nipple grease. That's hands down. I tried them all I think now except for Slick 50 One Grease. I have a tube of that and promised myself I would use it when the others ran out. Then I went and bought another tube of CVA when I was running low, without thinking.

Your Black Diamond is a great rifle I have one. A word of caution about that rifle. Be sure and grease that breech plug real good. Also when you put that in the rifle, finger tight only and then back it off a hair. Also a small dab on the 209 nipple threads will help that come out easy too. Especially if you shoot Triple Se7en powder.

The first time I shot my Black Diamond I seized up the breech plug. I had that seized so tight, I snapped the piece of junk breech plug wrench in two trying to force it out. I finally soaked it and got it out with a socket set and a long extension. A 7/16th I believe will fit on that breech plug and nipple. With a 8" extension, it will come right out the back of the striker screw area, and you can crank that thing in and out easy as can be. They also make a Deluxe Black Diamond breech plug wrench that works pretty good.

Don't bother with the breech plug plastic screw in breech protector. A waste of $3.95 but I have one anyway. The breech plug tape does work, but be sure to smear the outside of the tape with some anti seize also to make sure it comes back out.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Birchwood-Casey Choke Tube Lube. Protects to 2000 deg F.

Been using that the past year and it's about the best thing I have used in over 35 years. Regardless of what powder (Black Mag'3, 777 2FG&3FG, Swiss & Goex Black Power).

The most important things are:
1) Use anti-seize lube of some sortliberally every time.
2)Do not reef breech plugs and nipples tight. Just snug them up.
3) Every 10 shots or so, slightly loosen and re-snug them.
4) Detail clean and the end of each shooting day. Even if you have only fired once. Ioften remove the breech plug or nipple immediately when finished shooting at the range if it's accessible.

Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:14 AM

CVA - Slick breech plug and nipple grease is the best I have used, I also use the pink breech plug tape. I have use the tape with and with out adding the grease. But when I am going to be shooting a lot on the range I use both together. I would rather be safe then sorry.
I would stay away from the knight breech plug grease, I used itwhen I first started using my inline and it seized up and had to a socket wrench to remove it. One thing that I now do at the end of my shooting at the range while the barrel is still hot, is remove my breech plug and put it a cleaner.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like using t/c gorilla grease
Old 11-15-2005, 03:47 PM

last year i bought a big tube of castrol marine grease cost about $2.50 more grease than all of us could use in a year its the best stuff i have ever used. My encore plug would stick with a full lube of the tc lubewith only a finger tighten, when i used the marine grease it came right out with just the socket, it works even better in my omega. Our reg gun season starts sat. i can hardly wait to bust a cap,its black powder all the way for me this year unless i go to the lakebed. The only reason i would take my 270 there is because i saw a huge buck crossing in the wide open about 250 or 300 yards but even then i don't like shooting out there because you can't see on the other side of the lakebed you just have to let it get to where you can see bank on the other side. And shooting without a backstop is taboo.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the information. This was the 1st time I have been told to just finger tighten the breech . I am glad I heard it now instead of living the option later. I have heard a couple good things about the gorilla grease & now also the CVA grease. Now probably depends on what I can find & pricing. Thanks again & I'm sure I will post another question soon.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

gadgetgeekmt

I on the other hand do not like any of the grease anti sieze - I have used them but I find them to messy for my liking + plus the possiblity of contaminating your powder load.

This is the route I have taken for my Remingtons and Austin & Halleck - I can not guarantee you will have the same results...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39309&highlight=brech+plug

hope this does not confuse the issue...

Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Spike

CVA - Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease works greatfor me. Breech plug comes right out after several shots.

I used some T/C's Anti-Seize Super Lube andwasn't allthat impressed with it.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 PM

I use teflon based lubricant that I have for my fishing reels. So far I have not had any problems at all. I already had it for my reels, soI gave it a try, and it's cheaper than anti-sieze grease.

Quick Reply: anti-seize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.