Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Nikon Omega question >

Nikon Omega question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nikon Omega question

Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nikon Omega question

Balistic reticles work the same as using hold over, they just give you convenient points of reference with the extra aiming points. The way I set my ballistic scopes up is to first find an accurate load and chrono it, then run a ballistic chart to see what it should be doing. I compare that to what the graduations of the aiming points of the reticle are,then determine the distances at which the load matches the reticles setup. I then go out and confirm at the range that the calculations are correct and fine tune from there. Some loads can work at the distances listed for the omega if you adjust the 100 yard zero up a little, maybe an inch or so. Once you confirm and fine tune the sight in, make a chart of what distances the aiming marks are good for and tape it to your stock and memorize it so you are ready when the time comes. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

dvdegeorge

The relief is 3.6" on 9x and as you go down in power it gets greater....

How much do you feel you need?

Actual Magnification:3x-9x

Objective Diameter:40mm

Exit Pupil (mm):13.3-4.4

Eye Relief (in):3.6-3.6

FOV@100 yds (ft):33.8-11.3

Tube Diameter:1 in

Objective Tube (mm/in):47.3/1.86

Eyepiece O.D. (mm):39.3

Length (in):12.3

Weight (oz):13.1

Adjustment Gradation:1/4 MOA

Max Internal Adjustment:80 MOA

Parallax Settings (yds):100.....................................This taken directly fron NIkon...3.6 from 3x -9x...The Omega has 5" of eye relief making scope mounting as well as target aquisition much easier
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

dvdegeorge

5" - that kinda sounds like a pistol scope... I tried one of those long eye reliefs once and i could not get used to it in the woods to much light between me and the scope or shawdows somwthing really seem to bother me a bit in the bright/dim light of a timber canopy. Once you got use to it suppose it would be OK

I guess i am just to use to the other... I shoot mostly Bushnell Elite 3200's with a relief of 3.3" - I think I now have 4 of them on ML's and one on my Tikka 300 win mag. The other scopes I have are leupold and swift - think they are about the same.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM

5" eye relief is great when your shooting magnum loads chances are much less likely of getting scoped. I have no complaints with my omega on my T/C Triumph. For the money this is a great scope. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 firefly 3x9x40 on my Knight, and a 3x9 3200 on my Browning Abolt 12 guage, and I can tell you the Nikon omega has a more clear and brighter glass.